Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Post by Karl Babcoc » Fri, 04 May 2001 08:54:07



When Mandrake 8.0 starts, it will just
hang when it says Starting X Font
Server.. I`m in Aurora when it says it.
I am using a amd k2 400, voodoo 3
2000 pci. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Post by A.C. 'Static' Stad » Fri, 04 May 2001 09:24:13


Something strange happened there...


Quote:> When Mandrake 8.0 starts, it will just
> hang when it says Starting X Font
> Server.. I`m in Aurora when it says it.
> I am using a amd k2 400, voodoo 3
> 2000 pci. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

anyways... Is there any way you can start in a non-fb mode, I find you get
more information that way, also I don't believe xfs is loaded till after
you've gone multiuser, so see if anything has made it into /var/log/messages
regarding any possible errors.

St.

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Post by A.C. 'Static' Stad » Fri, 04 May 2001 09:26:01




> Something strange happened there...



> > When Mandrake 8.0 starts, it will just
> > hang when it says Starting X Font
> > Server.. I`m in Aurora when it says it.
> > I am using a amd k2 400, voodoo 3
> > 2000 pci. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

> anyways... Is there any way you can start in a non-fb mode, I find you get
> more information that way, also I don't believe xfs is loaded till after
> you've gone multiuser, so see if anything has made it into
/var/log/messages
> regarding any possible errors.

> St.

Ummm... regarding my last post, I guess you'll have to restart in single
user mode to check the logs.

Silly me.

St.

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Post by Jan Eric Andersso » Fri, 04 May 2001 14:46:39



> anyways... Is there any way you can start in a non-fb mode, I find you get
> more information that way, also I don't believe xfs is loaded till after

Yes. Edit your bootloader command and remove the "vga=xxx" bit at the end.

Jan Eric

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

Post by Karl Babcoc » Fri, 04 May 2001 14:46:11


I got it working. Bootred up in non-fb, found my VNC server to be halting in
/var/log/messages .. Disabled that and X started :)

thanks.





> > Something strange happened there...



> > > When Mandrake 8.0 starts, it will just
> > > hang when it says Starting X Font
> > > Server.. I`m in Aurora when it says it.
> > > I am using a amd k2 400, voodoo 3
> > > 2000 pci. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

> > anyways... Is there any way you can start in a non-fb mode, I find you
get
> > more information that way, also I don't believe xfs is loaded till after
> > you've gone multiuser, so see if anything has made it into
> /var/log/messages
> > regarding any possible errors.

> > St.
> Ummm... regarding my last post, I guess you'll have to restart in single
> user mode to check the logs.

> Silly me.

> St.

 
 
 

1. Font Problems in Mandrake 8.0

Hello,

I have had font problems with Mandrake 8.0 since I upgraded from 7.2.
Today I upgraded the XFree86 packages to 4.1.0-4mdk along with 75dpi and
100dpi fonts. When I open Abiword or gftp, e.g., all I see are boxes
instead of text. For example, if I try to type in a host name in gftp I
just get boxes. In Abiword I see only boxes in the regions where usually
I would see the font type and point size. Also, when I open a document
in Abiword the font rendering is very ugly (also for StarOffice 5.2).

I note that when I did the upgrade to 4.1.0-4, I got an error message
when upgrading the 75dpi fonts that said something like 'couldn't open
helv012.pcf.gz.' If I look under /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/75dpi I see the
file.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks,

Eusebio

2. Digitizer in Linux?

3. Mandrake 8.0 Start/Shutdown Problems

4. Multiple OS installation on an Intel based machine...

5. Very Ugly Fonts in Mandrake 8.0 Using Abiword

6. register a driver

7. Mandrake 9 as Print Server, TT font problem

8. Can't shutdown my X server

9. Can't start X windows anymore (X Font Server problem)

10. URG : Problem with starting X Font Server on Linux Machine

11. Installed Linux mandrakes 8.0 and can't change licq server.

12. VNC server in Mandrake 8.0 keeps crashing at KDE splash screen

13. Best fonts / font config for KDE (Mandrake)?