Multi-Port Serial boards

Post by Net Rang » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 01:00:04

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.help ]

[ Posted on 2 Sep 1993 14:38:03 GMT ]

I read the Serial-FAQ... but I am unclear on one point, is it possible to
run multiple serial ports (like 8 or 16) using one of the "supported" cards
listed in the FAQ without running into IRQ problems under linux?
Thanks for any Info
-- NR
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Your .sig power has been revoked due to expiration of license. To reinstate |

Multi-Port Serial boards

Post by Arthur Donke » Sat, 04 Sep 1993 16:42:02

>[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.help ]

>[ Posted on 2 Sep 1993 14:38:03 GMT ]

>I read the Serial-FAQ... but I am unclear on one point, is it possible to
>run multiple serial ports (like 8 or 16) using one of the "supported" cards
>listed in the FAQ without running into IRQ problems under linux?

The supported boards might work. There are two possibilities :

- A board (up to 4 ports or so.) can set an IRQ per port (the STB can do this)
  This means you loose an IRQ to each serial port configured.

- A board might share interrupts. The kernel then polls a flag register (or
  each connected port) to determine which port generated the interrupt. The
  kernel supports this (p10 and up ???) for the standard DOS (yuck) COM ports.
  To implement you need to kludge around with diodes to make a wired OR so
  one IRQ doesn't blow out the other IRQ (check the postings from a few day ago
  it contains a diagram on how to do this).

A last word :

Be carefull when buying a BOCA board. Some models don't support all necessary
hardware signals (CD is missing) so they can't be used comfortably for dial-in
access. They might work with terminals though.

Just my $0.03,

Arthur

--
/* Disclaimer:   they hire my skills, not my opinions, they are mine !     */
/* CompuServe : 100120,3703         'Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a    */

/* phone : (31)50-855734             saying "cunning plan" all over it'    */

1. PROBLEM: Cyclades multi-port serial board

G'day,
        I have recently purchased a Cyclades 16-Ye 16-port serial board, but cannot for
the life of me get it to function correctly under FreeBSD 2.1.
I have followed the 'cy' man page and the FreeBSD handbook as best I can, and I can get
getty to raise the DTR (as the modem light responds), but cannot seem to get anything
else to work. I have tried using 'cu' and 'tip' to dial and enter commands to the modem,
but it doesn't respond correctly. The TR light on the modem just blinks on and off, and
nothing else!

Any suggestions??

I can't seem to get the board to function correctly under DOS either. I tried the
CYCTEST programme which indentifies the board just fine, but when I connect a modem and
try to test a port it responds with 'No ports selected and/or connected', when I have
connected and selected a port! Once again, if I go to the terminal emulation option in
CYCTEST, I can raise and lower the DTR no problems, but anything else doesn't seem to
respond!

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
Roger

2. Xfree86 error?

3. I need recommendations on multi-port serial board + fax/modem comm prog.

4. network stat

5. Multi-Port Serial boards

6. XFree86 & Stealth32 (not in Diamond.FAQ)

7. Old Stargate ACL multi-port serial boards

8. TCP Wrapper refuses connection, Banner Message Needed

9. Termserver vs. Multi-port serial boards

10. Multi-port Serial Boards for Linux ?

11. STARGATE MULTI-PORT SERIAL BOARD

12. boca multi-port serial board bb1008

13. Multi-Port Serial Boards