Allmost done installing, Newbie questions.

Allmost done installing, Newbie questions.

Post by Christian Ric » Mon, 12 Jul 1993 17:12:10

Ok, I've completely finished installing the SLS distribution (the current one)
parts A, B, C, and X.  Now I have a few last minute, middle of the night
questions.

I may have overlooked these answers in the FAQ's, if so could you please
point me to the answers.

First, In X-windows, is there a way to use 16 shades of grey in the X386mono
version?  Or, are there any drivers available for the Oak Chip Tech. VGA cards
(long shot I know)?

Second, Is there an alternative windows manager (I don't know a better term) to
tvm (I think that is what it's called) supplied with the SLS?  Or, is there an
alternative available?  Which one would you recomend?

And lastly, When setting linux up, I chose to always start in the same video
mode 80 X 24.  I changed my mind, how can I go back to having the menu of
choices?

Oh wait, one more.  X-windows seems to run fine most of the time, but slows to
a crawl when running doc and a few other graphic intensive programs.  I'm run-
ning a 386-40 with 8 meg of RAM.  Is there anything I can do (other than buy
a new computer) to speed up the performance?

I really appreciate your responses.  Thanks in advance!

Chris.

Allmost done installing, Newbie questions.

Post by Pau » Mon, 12 Jul 1993 19:09:46

I've come across a problem using ghostscript on a particular file using
386bsd, it crashes with a floating point exception. Bruce (bde) said
that there had been problems with ghostscript on linux as well and that
it might be a 386 thing.

Would anyone be willing to try and run ghostscript on this file and let
me know if they get a floating point exception?

The version of ghostscript is 2.6.1, if you're willing to help send me
some email and I'll arrange for you to have the file (it's not very
big).

Thanks.
--
  Paul Richards, University of Wales, College Cardiff

Post by Ric » Tue, 13 Jul 1993 09:20:20

>I've come across a problem using ghostscript on a particular file using
>386bsd, it crashes with a floating point exception. Bruce (bde) said
>that there had been problems with ghostscript on linux as well and that
>it might be a 386 thing.

I too have had FPE errors, trying to scale an image generated by epsonps.
I figgered it was a 386 thing and gave up; if you come up with a solution,
I would like to hear it.

Allmost done installing, Newbie questions.

Post by Leon De » Wed, 14 Jul 1993 04:59:03

I also began getting float exceptions in Linux while running ghostscript
after installing a ULSI 387-33sx co-processor.  Running certain programs
(postscript in ghostscript, and rayshade) almost always bring an FPE.

Leon Dent