installing new kernel 2.4.13

Post by nile » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:32:43

hello,

I have just downloaded new kernel 2.4.13
Can anyone help me how do i compile it and install it.

Thanks.

installing new kernel 2.4.13

Post by Francis Litteri » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:12:37

> I have just downloaded new kernel 2.4.13
> Can anyone help me how do i compile it and install it.

See the Kernel HOWTO at:

        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Also see the Linux Kernel Mailing List FAQ at:

        http://www.tux.org/lkml/
--
Francis Litterio

installing new kernel 2.4.13

Post by Chris Ahlstr » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:21:05

While stuck in the full lotus position, nilesh chanted this mantra:

Quote:> hello,

> I have just downloaded new kernel 2.4.13
> Can anyone help me how do i compile it and install it.

> Thanks.

do "tar xzf linux-2.4.13.tar.gz", then cd to the new directory.
Read the README verrrrrrry carefully.

The trickiest parts are configuring, then copying the files to the
boot directory, and editing /etc/lilo.conf and running /sbin/lilo.

I configured my RedHat system by trying to use the defconfig
it had as the input file for the "make xconfig" command.
Remember to double-check every setting carefully, and be sure
to enable any modules you need.  If you make*ups, you'll
know how bad they are when you reboot.

Proceed carefully.  Don't go fast!  Be prepared to spend at least
two hours on the task, even if you get it right the first time.

Chris

--
L1nUx r0x 81g t1m3!

installing new kernel 2.4.13

Post by Wayne Polloc » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:09:10

check out:
        http://www.hcc.cc.fl.us/pollock/Unix/KernelRebuild.htm

It was written for 2.4.9 but should apply for 2.4.anything.

Hope it helps!

-Wayne