RPM Newbie question

Post by D Karafotia » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 21:03:04

Hi. I use redhat 7.2. I try to install a package (zoo archiver) with
rpm -Uvh zoo....rpm and I get the following error:

Quote:>error: unpacking of archive failed on file zoo-2.10.spec: cpio: Archive
file not in header
>error: zoo-2.10-3.src.rpm cannot be installed

Can anybody help?

RPM Newbie question

Post by maddm » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 04:14:01

> Hi. I use redhat 7.2. I try to install a package (zoo archiver) with
> rpm -Uvh zoo....rpm and I get the following error:

> >error: unpacking of archive failed on file zoo-2.10.spec: cpio: Archive
>  file not in header
> >error: zoo-2.10-3.src.rpm cannot be installed

> Can anybody help?

Sounds like the rpm was corrupt.  Maybe you should dl it again, or try
to build from source.

HTH

RPM Newbie question

Post by Vince Water » Sun, 04 Aug 2002 13:28:18

Any Linux gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong!

...before you re-download and install the rpm package, is the program
already installed on your system and you're trying to upgrade it, or is
this supposed to be a fresh install?
By looking at your command, I see that you're using the -U parameter.
I know that the U parameter means upgrade/update a package that is
already on the system, so I'm not sure how the procedure will react when
trying to upgrade a non-existant package.
Try using the -i param instaed of U and see what happens.

>>Hi. I use redhat 7.2. I try to install a package (zoo archiver) with
>>rpm -Uvh zoo....rpm and I get the following error:

>>>error: unpacking of archive failed on file zoo-2.10.spec: cpio: Archive

>> file not in header

>>>error: zoo-2.10-3.src.rpm cannot be installed

>>Can anybody help?

> Sounds like the rpm was corrupt.  Maybe you should dl it again, or try
> to build from source.

> HTH

RPM Newbie question

Post by David a » Mon, 05 Aug 2002 11:01:14

hey

if a package does not exist, the -U option acts like the -i option. This
should not be the problem. unfortunately you have not given the entire
command you typed in. From the error message, "error: zoo-2.10-3.src.rpm
cannot be installed" it seems as though you are trying to install a soruce
rpm as if it were a binary one. try typing "rpm --rebuild
zoo-2.10-3.src.rpm" and letting the package rebuild. Then go and find the
generated RPM file (should be in your /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/ directory,
if not find it, it will be somewhere!!) and install that

hope this helps

cya

David ac

> Any Linux gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong!

> ...before you re-download and install the rpm package, is the program
> already installed on your system and you're trying to upgrade it, or is
> this supposed to be a fresh install?
> By looking at your command, I see that you're using the -U parameter.
> I know that the U parameter means upgrade/update a package that is
> already on the system, so I'm not sure how the procedure will react when
> trying to upgrade a non-existant package.
> Try using the -i param instaed of U and see what happens.

>>>Hi. I use redhat 7.2. I try to install a package (zoo archiver) with
>>>rpm -Uvh zoo....rpm and I get the following error:

>>> file not in header

>>>Can anybody help?

>> Sounds like the rpm was corrupt.  Maybe you should dl it again, or try
>> to build from source.

>> HTH

1. Source vs RPM -- newbie question.

I am a newbie to linux and was wondering it there is a difference between
using an RPM and compiling the source code your self?  Like are there any
performance gains in one or the other?

I also run into this annoying problem, when I install a program RPM, it
might say that it is looking for <package> version 1.0 and it can't find it.
So when I find this package or RPM and try to install it, this RPM says that
it conflicts with the same package that is a new version (like 2.0 or
something).  What am I supposed to do?  If I uninstall the current package
(new version), then I might lose another program on my computer that
requires it.  But if don't, I can't install the older package which the RPM
that I want to install needs.  So either way, I lose a program.

Could someone please tell me another way to solve this problem.  One that
allows me to use the current version and load the RPM that I want.  Thank
You.

2. OpenOffice column sort in Calc.

3. Another gnome newbie Question... (RPMS & sources)

4. Ping IP but not name? (NOT DNS)

5. newbie rpm question

6. IP-Filter, NAT, IPSEC and Nortel Extranet Access Client question

7. dumb newbie question about RPM

8. Do I need a sound card?

9. newbie rpm question

10. Newbie Question On RedHat XFree86 3.3.3 RPM

11. newbie rpm question - uninstall older version's?

12. Newbie question....installing packages from an RPM file?

13. Newbie: RPM and dependencies questions