LINUX and data acquisition

Post by Dan Don » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 17:42:02

I realize that *nix's method of interrupt handling is not good for data acquisition,
however, is it possible for digital/analog data acquisition in the 1000 Hz range?  Has
anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

ps. Its been about a year now, and I still grin like an idiot when I use my Linux box :)

LINUX and data acquisition

Post by william E Davids » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 23:22:07

| I realize that *nix's method of interrupt handling is not good for data acquisition,
| however, is it possible for digital/analog data acquisition in the 1000 Hz range?  Has
| anyone tried this?

  Depends on the interrupt rate. On a 386DX-40 Linux seems to live with
400-600 int/sec without dropping (serial data). But the UART has a FIFO
so the required response is something like 6ms (12 bytes at 19200).
Linux will run faster, but the int rate generally doesn't get higher,
the FIFO gets deeper.

  If your hardware will fill a buffer or something, I'm sire you can
make it work. If you can come in via serial port, that will work. If you
need better latency than 2ms you may have to limit what you do on the
machine to reach that level.

  If you write an IEEE-488 driver for Linux I know someone who would
like to know about it (maybe 9000 systems worth).

--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345

1. Data Acquisition using linux with [Data Acquisition Processor] DAP

Hi
Can Anybody Suggest me how to start off with  data acquisition
progamming in c on linux ,using the DAP card ....it would be kind if
someone let me know some websites which guides how to start
programming or some sites where examples are there .........i have
done  data acquisition using Graphical Language and i want to try in
linux using "C" ........i also want to know how to interact with the
DAP card

can any body please give some guide lines

thnax
james

2. Root logins

3. serial port data acquisition without data loss?

4. xterm bug or feature?

5. Data acquisition with Linux?

6. sendmail in RH6. easy.

7. Data acquisition card drivers under linux. Intelligent Instrumentation.

8. /var/log/messages > syslogd restarts twice in 3 hours

9. REQ Fast data acquisition with Linux

10. data acquisition using sound card under linux

11. Linux & Data acquisition

12. New data scientific acquisition software for Linux

13. Data-acquisition with Linux (A/D converters)