activating nis (yp) search for services in nsswitch.conf causes bug in getservbyport

activating nis (yp) search for services in nsswitch.conf causes bug in getservbyport

Post by adma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:24:47

I'm using NIS under SuSE linux to publish services on the LAN.

The getservbyport function expects a network byte order port number.
If nsswitch.conf contains the line: "services: files nis". The lookup
gets rather unreliable. Apparently, the NIS lookup is doing some
unsollicited byte order swap (htons).

E.g. if port is 12AB and the services list do not include 12AB, it may
return the service name for port AB12 instead of an error.

After removing the nis entry in nsswitch.conf, all works fine.

I assume it is a bug. Anybody?

1. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

I am searching for plugins for Netscape Navigator on a SPARC Solaris 2.5
system.  While any help would be appreciated, I am especially looking for
plugs for RealAudio, wav, and Shockwave files.

Surely I don't have to go out and buy an IBM PC running windows or a
just to be able to access sites which use these technologies.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

2. "Closer to the expected availability date in the 3rd quarter of 2000..."

3. NIS+ FindDir and nsswitch.conf

4. Get answer of your queries/discussions within minutes

5. nsswitch.conf and NIS

6. DAT streamer: Which one?

7. passwd/nsswitch.conf/compat old NIS Problem

8. Host Chooser !!! Help

9. groups/NIS+/Solaris7/nsswitch.conf

10. bizarre NIS problems (ypbind/nsswitch.conf/group)

11. NIS, nsswitch and services map

12. NIS and nsswitch.conf questions

13. Correct nsswitch.conf for NIS client?