MCC-interim release problem with login

MCC-interim release problem with login

Post by Dave Saffo » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 00:36:22



I installed the MCC-interim .95c+ release, and
applied the listed bug fixes (/dev/tty ...), and ran
into numerous problems that were all fixed by replacing
/bin/login with a previous (.95a static) version.

The symptoms included a mangled bash environment, stty
reporting 0 rows and 0 columns, and vi defaulting to 25x80
(instead of the available 44x132).  Replacing /bin/login
fixed all of these problems.  Both the new and old bash
had the same problems with the new login, and worked fine
after login was replaced.

Did anyone else have these problems, or should I re-ftp
and try again?

thanks,
dave safford

 
 
 

MCC-interim release problem with login

Post by Alex R.N. Wetmo » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 05:44:40


Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux: 27-Apr-92 MCC-interim release

Quote:> The symptoms included a mangled bash environment, stty
> reporting 0 rows and 0 columns, and vi defaulting to 25x80
> (instead of the available 44x132).  Replacing /bin/login
> fixed all of these problems.  Both the new and old bash
> had the same problems with the new login, and worked fine
> after login was replaced.

> Did anyone else have these problems, or should I re-ftp
> and try again?

I was about to post a very similar message about the MCC-interim login
also.  By looking at the sizes of the two login executables, the mcc
login was ~9k, and the 0.95a one was ~40k, so I assume that the 0.95a
one has more (wishful thinking?).  Anyway, the 0.95a one does seem to
work much better.

alex

 
 
 

MCC-interim release problem with login

Post by Jim Bur » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 15:06:00



Quote:> I was about to post a very similar message about the MCC-interim login
> also.  By looking at the sizes of the two login executables, the mcc
> login was ~9k, and the 0.95a one was ~40k, so I assume that the 0.95a
> one has more (wishful thinking?).  Anyway, the 0.95a one does seem to
> work much better.

Nope - the mcc-interim binaries are shared. Caused a little surprise, since
I have the scsi kernel, and thus didn't TRY booting off the 'boot' disk - I
had to modify the install script, and of course, nothing would work till I
manually copied the lib.92.04.06 file to /lib. Also found that non-root
users constantly got protection violation aborts on anything till I chmod-ed
the library as executable.

A.V.LeBlanc previously posted availability of a fixed login.c in the source
archive /pub/linux/mcc-interim/0.95c+/misc.tar.Z at ftp.mcc.ac.uk.
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0178a

 
 
 

MCC-interim release problem with login

Post by A. V. Le Bla » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 17:42:35



>I installed the MCC-interim .95c+ release, and
>applied the listed bug fixes (/dev/tty ...), and ran
>into numerous problems that were all fixed by replacing
>/bin/login with a previous (.95a static) version.

This has been such a problem that I have released a new
utilities disk (util-U?.Z) with the corrected version of login.

I have mentioned in an earlier note that the source of the
corrected login is available in ...mcc-interim/0.95c+/sources/misc.tar.Z
at ftp.mcc.ac.uk and at banjo.concert.net.

     -- Owen

 
 
 

MCC-interim release problem with login

Post by A. V. Le Bla » Wed, 29 Apr 1992 18:02:58



 Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux: 27-Apr-92 MCC-interim release

Quote:>I was about to post a very similar message about the MCC-interim login
>also.  By looking at the sizes of the two login executables, the mcc
>login was ~9k, and the 0.95a one was ~40k, so I assume that the 0.95a
>one has more (wishful thinking?).  Anyway, the 0.95a one does seem to
>work much better.

They are compiled from virtually the same source; the mcc 'interim'
version uses shared libraries.  Note again that the source to
everything on the mcc 'interim' disks is available from ftp.mcc.ac.uk,
and an accurate collection of applied patches (together with instructions
for applying them) is being compiled.  Note also that the login problem
has been fixed, both on the util disk and in the source.

     -- Owen

 
 
 

1. 486 panics booting mcc-interim release :(

REPOST:

486/25, Micronics motherboard, Phoenix BIOS, Adaptec SCSI controller,
4MB ram.  Starts to boot mcc-interim release 0.96c, starts to load the
RAM disk, get a general protection error, then dies with a kernel panic
"trying to free up swapper memory space".

Any hints on this one?  I suspect a bad boot diskette, but would like
to know other things to try.

I'll be visiting the owner of the machine in Dallas Friday, and I'd like
to get off the plane with good news :)
--

"This is the final task I will ever give you, and it  goes  on  forever.   Act
happy, feel happy, be happy, without a reason in the world. Then you can love,
and do what you will."           -- Dan Millman, "Way Of The Peaceful Warrior"

2. Retriving files from Windows from Unix. How?

3. mcc-interim release for 0.97?

4. Sending Signals

5. Fix for mcc-interim login.c

6. Sun's Strategic Alliance with AMD

7. mcc-interim and shadow /bin/login ignore .cshrc with tcsh

8. 3Com 3c589 in laptop

9. 0.96 (boot) and mcc-interim, shell problem help.

10. MCC-INTERIM problems

11. gcc from mcc-interim - work?

12. MCC-Interim... where is named and readlinelib

13. mcc-interim 0.96a question