install packages after install

Post by Jori van Lie » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:36:19

Probaly a stupid question, but how do I install additional packages after I
installed linux?

Distro: Redhat 6.1.

Thanks in advance.

Jori

Post by Kevin Lacquemen » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:55:08

    JvL> Probaly a stupid question, but how do I install additional packages after I
    JvL> installed linux?

    JvL> Distro: Redhat 6.1.

If it's an RPM package, take a look at the manpage for rpm.

If it's a source package, you'll have to uncompress it, unarchive it,
and compile it.

Cheers,
Kevin Lacquement

--
He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of
wisdom                                         -- Gandalf the Grey

install packages after install

Post by Steve Ackm » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 06:43:20

Quote:>Probaly a stupid question, but how do I install additional packages after I
>installed linux?

>Distro: Redhat 6.1.

As root,
rpm -ivh <full package name> to install.
rpm -Uvh <full package name> to upgrade.  (deletes older version)

--
Steve Ackman
http://twovoyagers.com

Post by Davi » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:53:59

> >Probaly a stupid question, but how do I install additional packages after I
> >installed linux?

> >Distro: Redhat 6.1.

> As root,
> rpm -ivh <full package name> to install.
> rpm -Uvh <full package name> to upgrade.  (deletes older version)

 rpm -Fhv /path/to/package/to/install
  (will only update previously installed packages)
  (will not install new packages)

ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.247% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

1. Redhat 6.1 install and freeze after package install

I am trying to install Redhat 6.1 on a 133Mhz Pentium w/ 64 megs of RAM.  I
am able to boot up the kernel from the latest boot.img on a floppy and get
through the graphical install until the RPM packages are finishing
installing.  At this point the machine simply freezes up on me.  I
configured X windows with a "generic monitor" and Redhat was able to
recognize my video card and VRAM size.  I have tried to reinstall about six
times now with different options enabled (including changing my mouse
settings from generic serial to Microsoft 2.A serial) but I am still getting
the same system freeze.  Does anyone have any advice they can give me?  It
would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Southern Oregon University

2. problem with my 120GB firewire hard drive

3. Redhat5.2 FTP install dies installing package "dev"

4. Weird drive mounting problem

5. Installing all installed packages.

6. kdelibs-1_0-7rh51_i386.rpm install fails on kde.mo, so is kdelibs-1_0-7rh51_i386.rpm

7. install hangs at package install

8. ftpd causes an IO Trap Error

9. RPM looks like in installs package but doesn't actually install

10. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

11. Installing packages w/Core OS Install

12. Installing packages from an install server (after Solaris installation)

13. Q: Installing Redhat6.2 will stop at 'Installing Packages'