SLIP for linux?

Post by David Dill » Wed, 07 Apr 1993 22:47:37

I did check the FAQ first...

Has anyone ported a version of slip or ppp to linux?  Is linux ioctl Sys V
or is it BSD like?  I have not installed linux on my machine yet, but I
plan to do so soon.  I'm looking forward to using it instead of ISC.

SLIP for linux?

Post by Charles Hedri » Sat, 10 Apr 1993 12:34:12

>I did check the FAQ first...
>Has anyone ported a version of slip or ppp to linux?

I seem to be having trouble getting this into the FAQ:

SLIP is Serial-Line IP.  It is an encapsulation of TCP/IP for asynch
lines.  Most commonly it's used as a way to connect a system to a
TCP/IP network using a modem.  With a complete implementation of SLIP,
your system can act as a full-scale Internet network host.  The only
difference in principle between a SLIP connection and Ethernet is that
a serial-line is normally a lot slower than an Ethernet.

You may run into PPP ("Point to Point Protocol").  This is a newer
protocol than SLIP.  It's somewhat more general-purpose: it can
support synchronous lines as well as async, and it can support
protocols other than TCP/IP.  It can be used for the same things as
SLIP.  But because it's more general, it is also a lot more complex
than SLIP.  (Many of us think it's a typical committee product.)  I
don't know of any PPP's for Linux, though someone may have a newer
version of KA9Q that supports PPP.

There are at least two implementations of SLIP for Linux.  One has
SLIP code that works with the normal Linux kernel-based TCP/IP.  If
you use this, then all the normal TCP/IP utilities will work over
SLIP.  Unfortunately it is still in alpha.  In order to use it, you
must subscribe to the SLIP channel.  The code for it is on
tsx-11.mit.edu, but the information needed to get it is available only
via the SLIP channel.  The reports I've seen so far suggest that this
should be used only by people who want to help the debugging effort.

The other implementation of SLIP is based on KA9Q.  KA9Q is an
implementation of TCP/IP originally written for MS/DOS, to support
amateur radio use of TCP/IP.  It has now been ported to Linux and
other Unix-like systems, as well as some other micros.  It is
available for educational and personal non-commercial use.  I am
responsible for one port of KA9Q to Linux.  It is on tsx-11.mit.edu,
as binaries/usr.bin/ka9qbin.N.tar.Z for binary and
sources/usr.bin/ka9qsrc.N.tar.Z for source.  N is a version number.  I
believe there are ports of newer versions of KA9Q, which may have more
features.  I haven't tried any of them and so can't say anything about
them.

ka9qbin.N.tar.Z contains a READ.ME that explains how to install it.
Installation of KA9Q -- or any other version of SLIP or PPP -- will
probably require either some understanding of TCP/IP or help from your
local network support staff.  That's frustrating to some people,
because Linux users typically want to be self-supporting.
Unfortunately SLIP by its nature requires cooperation with somebody
else.  Its purpose is to tie you into a network.  Normally that
network is run by a campus or corporate group.  You're going to need
them to set things up so that you can connect via SLIP, and you're
going to need some information from them in order to be able to
configure KA9Q.

If you control the machine at the other end, in theory you can put
SLIP up there yourself.  There are SLIP implementations for most
versions of Unix, and I believe Multinet for VMS also supports it.
(However don't ask me where to get them, because I don't know.)
However even in this case, you should still coordinate with the group
that runs your network.  You'll have to configure the machine running
SLIP as a router.  Many network managers will tend to get * if a
user suddenly starts running an unauthorized router.

Here are the strengths and weaknesses of this version of KA9Q:

 strengths:
   reliability -- I have fixed several problems, including bugs
        in the generic header compression code from Berkeley.
   performance -- it's been carefully tuned.  If the system you
        are talking to supports header compression, response at
        9600 or faster feels as good via SLIP as with Kermit or
        other normal communications packages.  At 2400 it's
        slow, but usable, as long as you have header compression.
        Without header compression, don't even think about
        speeds below 9600.
   telnet implements a number of newer features, so ^S and ^Q
        are interpreted locally, and ^C and ^O stop output
        fairly quickly.  This of course assumes that you are
        running a current telnet daemon on the other end.  (Many
        vendors, including Sun, supply versions of the telnet daemon
        that are years out of date.)  Telnet lets you type special
        telnet commands using ^^ followed by a letter.  (It is
        compatible with the telnet in Cisco's terminal servers.)
        It does local line editing when talking to IBM systems.
        In general I prefer its user interface and general
        operation over Berkeley's telnet.

 weaknesses:
   everything is packaged in a single executable.  You can have
        several telnet sessions, ftp sessions, etc., but they'll
        all be part of one program.  You can get back to command
        level in that program, switch between sessions, close
        a session etc.  But what you can't do is open a bunch
        of X windows and run separate copies of FTP in each
        window.  (There are two exceptions:  (1) It does support
        a separate telnet program.  You can open multiple windows
        and run a different copy of telnet in each.  (2) It
        supports X.  So if you start up xterm or any other X
        client on a remote system, you will get a separate X window.)
        This is not intrinsic to the KA9Q architecture.  It is possible
        to do a server implementation that would support multiple
        applications. I haven't done that because I thought we were going to
        have a "real" kernel-based implementation shortly.
   there's only a limited number of services: telnet, ftp, X,
        finger, ping.  I doubt that mail or other things (even
        when present) actually work.
   there's almost no incoming services.  ftp works OK.  finger
        is sort of there, though not quite the way you might
        expect.  Incoming telnet can be configured to either
        get you into a talk-like link or actually start up a
        login shell.

In general, this code is well suited to the needs of a single-user
system, but not a server or multi-user system.

I am spending almost no time doing anything with KA9Q, because I
assume it will be replaced by the kernel TCP/IP shortly.  (However
it's taking much longer for the kernel TCP/IP to stabilize than I had
hoped.)  Someone is apparently planning continuing support of a newer
version of KA9Q for its amateur radio services.

When installing SLIP (or any other TCP/IP software, for that matter),
you may find it useful to have a general introduction to TCP/IP.  I
have written two papers, which when taken together give you much of
the information you would need to configure a TCP/IP-based host or
network.  They are available via anonymous FTP at cs.rutgers.edu, as
runet/tcp-ip-intro.doc and .ps, and tcp-ip-admin.doc and .ps.  .doc is
straight text.  .ps is Postscript.  These papers have been fairly
widely distributed.  (I recently noticed one of them on the SunSolve
CDROM, without a titlepage that would show where it came from -- the
only signs of my authorship are in a footnote about 1/3 of the way
through the document.  And Sun has added a Sun copyright notice...)

SLIP for linux?

Post by Jim Lyn » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 21:06:23

Is anyone aware of a product for Linux that works similar to SLIP, but doesn't
require SLIP?  SLIP had some security holes that are incompatible with our
corporate police.  I am aware of term, but I believe that only works with X and
I can`t run X yet.  Is there anything else that will let me have multiple connections
to a Unix system, that doesn't require that I have su permission on the Unix system?
Has anyone heard of a version of UW for Linux?  UW is a package that was written
for the Mac and ported to MSDOS, then ported to Windows, but I'm not  aware of
a Linux port.

Thanks..
Jim.

-
Jim *, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO

Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269

SLIP for linux?

Post by Matthew Rhot » Sat, 17 Apr 1993 05:44:40

term does not require X. I run term just fine on a 386SX notebook on
which I do not run X.
 -matt

--

"When Adam and Eve first saw each other, that's when the blues started."
 -John Lee *

SLIP for linux?

Post by Michael K. Johns » Sat, 17 Apr 1993 13:38:53

   Is anyone aware of a product for Linux that works similar to SLIP, but
   doesn't require SLIP?  SLIP had some security holes that are
   incompatible with our corporate police.  I am aware of term, but I
   believe that only works with X and I can`t run X yet.  Is there
   anything else that will let me have multiple connections

Bzzt...  Term doesn't require X, although it does *allow* you to make
X connections if you have X.  It works much better than UW (I've tried
UW, too...) and is small and fast.  Try it, you'll like it...  If all
you want is a one-user connection, it has all the features of slip
that you need, generally.

michaelkjohnson

1. SLIP server (linux) SLIP client (winsock) help please

I am trying to set up a slip server on my linux box that would allow me to
connect from my house via Winsock TCPman (windows).  I have read all the
FAQ's, how-to's, etc.
I was able to ping, telnet, ftp the linux box but could not see any machine
past it.  If anyone has successfully done this, I would appreciate any help
that you could give.  A step by step guide would really be nice!   I am
running pl14 with CSLIP disabled when I made config.

Thanks in advance!

Bob Sanford                          |

Radar Engineering                    |                    -Goldfinger
Federal Aviation Administration      |

2. Network latency with a 3Com etherlink card

3. Linux-->SLIP-->Linux

4. Pesky vCard.vcf readers for the PC

5. SLIP for Linux

6. Tekram M205 Tuner/Capture + Debian 2.0 R3 ?

7. SLIP/PPP linux/winsock - 1 IP address

8. NetBSD1.5 on MacIIsi /dev/ttyE1 Device not configured

9. Solaris SLIP for linux 486 -> Sparcstation

10. Status of SLIP for Linux

11. ntfs small slip in linux kernel 2.4.9

12. Slip on Linux/routing question

13. X11 , SLIP & Linux