SLS Boot Disk Oddity

Post by Rick Slat » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 01:04:08

I've been booting Linux (SLS 99p2) from a 3.5 inch floppy for several
months now with no odd behavior (computer: 486DX, ISA Inc. motherboard,
250 meg IDE hard drive, AMI bios, 8 megs of memory, all assembled by
Tangent Computers).

At one point in the boot, I had become used to seeing a series of
dots (.....) being presented.  This behavior changed about a month
ago, and I intermittently see what appears to be assembler debug
info on the screen.  When it appears, it looks something like:

mov ax,cx
(more asm stuff follows, and then the dots resume)

Once the boot is complete, everything seems to work normally.  I've
regenerated the boot disk, but the new one does that too, so it's
not a media problem.  The floppy drive itself has never given any
indication of difficulties elsewhere.  Should I simply ignore the
behavior?  Obviously, the asm output is there by design, and I'd like
to hear what the heck it may be, especially if it's an indication
of real problems to come. :-(

SLS Boot Disk Oddity

Post by Markfried Fellensi » Sun, 18 Apr 1993 20:24:03

: At one point in the boot, I had become used to seeing a series of
: dots (.....) being presented.  This behavior changed about a month
: ago, and I intermittently see what appears to be assembler debug
: info on the screen.  When it appears, it looks something like:
:
: .....
: mov ax,cx
: (more asm stuff follows, and then the dots resume)
: ........................
:
: Once the boot is complete, everything seems to work normally.  I've
: regenerated the boot disk, but the new one does that too, so it's
: not a media problem.  The floppy drive itself has never given any

Maybe some twisted person has already written a Linux virus!!
(Hey, just a thought... this might explain why we're having
so many problems...)  ;)

Mark.

1. My comp. crashes when booting with SLS boot disk.

Hello. i am hoping someone can help me. I have checked all the FAQs I can and have not found any refence to this problem.  I get LILO and then Loading Ramdisk,
then it seems do identify both my serial ports and my printer port LP1 and then
the computer crashes. I get the locking of the numlock key and my computer
just sits there. I have to press the reset BUTTON to reboot.  The disk does
work becuse it worked on my friends comp. Please help. Thanx

Andrew

2. Linux, Linksys PCMCIA, Fujitsu 420D

3. RH7.2 boot disk + scsi cdrom oddity

4. Q: The jump table for Tix library

5. RH7.2 boot disk oddity

6. straight into CDE without login

7. (Correction+Update) SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for $85.5 or 52.00!!

8. sed help

9. SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for a total of US$85.5!!!

10. SLS - Get entire SLS on 3 1/2 disks for $85.5!!

11. SLS install disk boots, but can't login

12. Problem: can't boot with SLS a1.3 disk

13. Help creating a SLS a1 boot disk