Propper shutdown on power-off

Post by kah_02 » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:08:54

Hi,

I am running SuSE Linux 8.2. I'd like to have my system initiate a
propper shutdown if the power switch is pushed. I think it worked like
that right after I installed the system. However, now it doesn't
anymore. How can I setup the system up to do this?

Thank you in advance

    Klaus

Propper shutdown on power-off

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:10:21

kah_0203 enlightened us with:

Quote:> I am running SuSE Linux 8.2. I'd like to have my system initiate a
> propper shutdown if the power switch is pushed.

Install acpid and make sure your kernel supports acpi. If your system
has a directory called /proc/acpi, it does. Do

# cat /proc/acpi/events

and see if you get any output when you press the power button. If you
get an error like "Device or resource busy", kill acpid.

Quote:> I think it worked like that right after I installed the system.
> However, now it doesn't anymore.

What have you changed in the mean time?

Sybren

Propper shutdown on power-off

Post by Johann Koeni » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:26:07

On Thursday June 26, 2003 at 23:10

> kah_0203 enlightened us with:
> > I am running SuSE Linux 8.2. I'd like to have my system initiate a
> > propper shutdown if the power switch is pushed.

> Install acpid and make sure your kernel supports acpi. If your system
> has a directory called /proc/acpi, it does. Do

> # cat /proc/acpi/events

This is something I've been meaning to ask about ... I added acpi
support to the kernel, but did not install acpid. I wanted to make sure
acpi was working first. I messed up a power supply config once with
apcupsd, and my computer kept shutting itself off as soon as the daemon
started (yes, I fixed it without reinstalling). Therefore, I am a little
wary when it comes to messing with my power configs.

Back to acpi ... dmesg tells me:

<...>
ACPI: System description tables not found
    ACPI-0068: *** Error: Acpi_load_tables: Could not get RSDP, AE_ERROR
    ACPI-0116: *** Error: Acpi_load_tables: Could not load tables:
AE_ERROR
ACPI: System description table load failed
<...>

Logically, /proc/acpi does not exist. I am going to try apt-get
installing acpid now, and see if that gets me the necessary tables.

--
-johann koenig
now playing: stabbing westward - waking up beside you (remix)

1. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

Hi,

I  am using  an SMP  machine  (Tyan 1836  dual uprocessors).  Previous
versions of  RH allowed me  to power-off the machine  during shutdown,
but  I  am  not  able  to  shutoff the  power  using  RH  7.2.   Tried
recompiling the kernel,  etc.  Has anyone gotten power-off  to work on
an SMP?  I would love some suggestions.

Thanks,

marc

--

2. What's up with sourceforge?

3. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

4. Passthrough Authentication with Squid on a Windows AD domain

5. Can power-off call shutdown ?

6. Ethernet card required with PPP?

7. Power-off after shutdown under Linux

8. Two file execution problems

9. Power-off on shutdown?

10. Automatic power-off of an RS/6000 following issuance of "shutdown" command

11. Shutdown won't Power-off using SuSE-6.1

12. System power-off on shutdown, 2.4.1?

13. Auto power-off with halt or shutdown?