Bash question

Post by Satish Chittamu » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 04:27:09

What's the option to bash that will cause it to read my .profile?
bash in the xterms doesn't read the file nor does it inherit my
login shell's environment. I have to do a source .profile every
time I start an xterm.

Oh! And what is the option to GCC to generate 486 specific code?
There was message on it a few days back. I forgot the option and
the message has expired since then.

Thanks mucho, folks.

--

Microsoft Corporation                           Redmond, WA
=====

Bash question

Post by Ben C » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 06:07:45

>What's the option to bash that will cause it to read my .profile?
>bash in the xterms doesn't read the file nor does it inherit my
>login shell's environment. I have to do a source .profile every
>time I start an xterm.

If you invoke xterm as "xterm -ls" then it will read your .profile.
Alternatively, you can put a line in your resources file (which will
be called either .Xdefaults or .Xresources; check your X configuration
for sure; I think the default is .Xresources but I changed mine to
.Xdefaults) that looks like this:

XTerm*loginShell:       true

Quote:>Oh! And what is the option to GCC to generate 486 specific code?
>There was message on it a few days back. I forgot the option and
>the message has expired since then.

-m486

--
Ben Cox

Bash question

Post by Jim Bur » Wed, 24 Jun 1992 21:43:34

1) -login

2) -m486
--
BURNS,JIM (returned student)
Georgia Institute of Technology, 30178 Georgia Tech Station,

uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0178a

1. Another bash question

Hi,

having just started to use bash, I confess to still being a bit
confused about ~/.bash_profile , ~/.bash_login , ~/.profile
and ~/.bashrc ....

Can anyone see any serious objections to using say, ~/.profile
for EVERYTHING (env. variables, aliases and so on).

I use a network of SUNs, and intend to run lots of scripts, etc.

Being a simpleton, I simply like to keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff Rubner,
UMIST, Manchester, UK.

2. kdevelop/kdbg-newbie

3. simple bash question

4. NVidia/Gl problem with -ac7

5. bash questions

6. Compaq RAID controller?

7. sh/bash question

8. A wu-ftpd question

9. bash question?

10. Bash Question

11. bash question

12. bash question: how to redirect "Segmentation fault" reports ?

13. Bash question