problem in recompling kernel

Post by dj » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:54:57

Hi guys,

I am using Debian woody 3.0 and I experience problem in recompiling.  I try
to recompile my kernel with the old configuration from Debian.  The
configuration can be found under the directory "/boot".  I follow the step
used by "Linux Kernel HOWTO" but I fail to use my network cards with my new
kernel image.  Can anybody tell me what's going wrong with me!?
They are the commands I have used.

***************
make clean
make mrproper
cp /boot/config(old config by Debian Installation) /usr/src/linux/.config
make dep
make modules
make modules_install
make bzImage
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage(new)
(edit /etc/lilo.conf for the new kernel)
(reboot my comp.)
*************

Below are the messages I've copied down from the display during
booting.....unfortunately they are not found from the /var/log
folder....sigh

(...) are messages that looks fine to me
**************
(...)
cleaning: /etc/network/ifstate.
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module eth1
done.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
(...)
(...)
Starting domain name service: namedhda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady
SeekCompete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
.
Starting domain name service: lwresd.
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
(...)
(...)
Starting innd.
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide0: reset: success
(...)
(...)
**********

Thank you!!!

Jones

Post by CTE » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:36:41

> Hi guys,

> I am using Debian woody 3.0 and I experience problem in recompiling.  I try
> to recompile my kernel with the old configuration from Debian.  The
> configuration can be found under the directory "/boot".  I follow the step
> used by "Linux Kernel HOWTO" but I fail to use my network cards with my new
> kernel image.  Can anybody tell me what's going wrong with me!?
> They are the commands I have used.

[SNIP]

> Below are the messages I've copied down from the display during
> booting.....unfortunately they are not found from the /var/log
> folder....sigh

[SNIP]

> Thank you!!!

> Jones

Where did you get the howto? TLDP?

--
Chris Engel
CTE Net

Post by Mic » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:02:01

> > Hi guys,

> > I am using Debian woody 3.0 and I experience problem in recompiling.  I try
> > to recompile my kernel with the old configuration from Debian.  The
> > configuration can be found under the directory "/boot".  I follow the step
> > used by "Linux Kernel HOWTO" but I fail to use my network cards with my new
> > kernel image.  Can anybody tell me what's going wrong with me!?
> > They are the commands I have used.

>  [SNIP]

> > Below are the messages I've copied down from the display during
> > booting.....unfortunately they are not found from the /var/log
> > folder....sigh

>  [SNIP]

> > Thank you!!!

> > Jones

> Where did you get the howto? TLDP?

Hi,
Probably you will have to create the Initial RAM disk.
See if your old configuration used one. Look in /boot if there is a
file named initrd.xx.yy.img. If it exists then you will have to create
an initial RAM disk for your new configuration .

For example - if my new kernel image is 2.4.20 then

# mkinitrd initrd-2.4.20.img 2.4.20

Also, don't forget to update lilo.conf

Regards,
Nav.

1. Recompling the kernel

I am trying to recompile the Linux kernel 2.0.0.  I have added the pnp
patch.  It compiled and booted fine.  Now when I recompile and try to
add sound as well as pnp, when I reboot, I get "Invalid compressed image
(err=1)" error.  what does this mean?

Chris Robertson

2. backup advanced filesystem

3. recompling kernel with new PPP 2.2.0c

4. An improved natsemi driver for 2.2

5. Recomple kernel without SMP support

6. Dumping with Travan 8Gb tapes

7. Common error 135 when recompling kernel

8. MIRROR port scan with iptables, is it advisable?

9. Error recompling kernel.

10. iptables error message after recompling kernel

11. Recompling linux kernel..

12. Recompling kernel help!!!

13. Ghostscript: problems with recompling (trying to add device stcolor)