SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Nate » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:18:26

I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when I
use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I might
be able to do this I would appreciate it.

Slackware 8.0
Sendmail 8.12.14

Thanks,
Nate

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Lenar » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 04:36:11

> I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
> port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when I
> use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I
> might be able to do this I would appreciate it.

> Slackware 8.0
> Sendmail 8.12.14

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/net/9907.1/0160.html

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Davi » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:26:39

> I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25
> + another port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit
> block of port 25 when I use them for dialup access. If someone
> can please run me through how I might be able to do this I
> would appreciate it.

> Slackware 8.0 Sendmail 8.12.14

Where did you get sendmail-8.12.14 at?  All the sendmail website
has is 8.12.9 which is suppose to be the latest release.

If you meant 8.12.4  be sure to upgrade it.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Esben Skov Pederse » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 07:09:40

> I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
> port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when I
> use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I
> might be able to do this I would appreciate it.

I don't know EL's restrictions, but i assume that they block it. The problem
if you want to recieve email is that there is way no to specify to other
mail-servers which port your MTA is running at. One solution could be to
set up a "forwarder" on a friends server. If he is not running a smtp a
simple iptables rule could reroute all trafic to your maschine on a port
you specify. Another solution could be to set another MTA to do this on
somebodies server, that way he is free to run his own smtp. I don't know if
any MTA out there can forward to smtp on another port - go find out.

/Esben

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Nate » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 07:22:52

> > I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25
> > + another port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit
> > block of port 25 when I use them for dialup access. If someone
> > can please run me through how I might be able to do this I
> > would appreciate it.

> > Slackware 8.0 Sendmail 8.12.14

> Where did you get sendmail-8.12.14 at?  All the sendmail website
> has is 8.12.9 which is suppose to be the latest release.

> If you meant 8.12.4  be sure to upgrade it.

My bad, it is 8.12.4, and yes I know I need to upgrade, will do.
Quote:> --

Post by Nate » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 09:29:27

> > I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
> > port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when
> > use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I
> > might be able to do this I would appreciate it.

> I don't know EL's restrictions, but i assume that they block it. The
problem
> if you want to recieve email is that there is way no to specify to other
> mail-servers which port your MTA is running at. One solution could be to
> set up a "forwarder" on a friends server. If he is not running a smtp a
> simple iptables rule could reroute all trafic to your maschine on a port
> you specify. Another solution could be to set another MTA to do this on
> somebodies server, that way he is free to run his own smtp. I don't know
if
> any MTA out there can forward to smtp on another port - go find out.

> /Esben

Earthlink blocks all outgoing port 25 connections except to their own mail
servers as an attempt to cut down on people who send spam which gets linked
back to their ISP. It kind of pisses me off that they do that, but I have to
use them cuz some of the places I travel they are the ONLY local isp
available (hicktown, USA).

I know that I need to keep SMTP running on port 25, What I need to do is run
it on port 25 and port ## at the same time, that way port 25 can continue to
run normally and when I'm on earthlink dialup I can configure my laptop to
send mail on port ## instead.  The first reply to my message linked to a
post somewhere else which had a good answer, I will be running the SMTP
client in two processes on my box, one of them configured to look at port 25
and the other configured to look at port ##, this should work :)

Thanks for your help

Nate

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by ynotsso » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 10:29:29

Quote:> I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
> port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when I
> use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I
> might be able to do this I would appreciate it.

In sendmail.mc, above the MAILER() definitions:

    dnl Maintain the standard port 25.
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')dnl
    dnl Add a listener on Port 26.
    DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=26, Name=MTA')dnl

Rebuild the sendmail.cf and restart the sendmail daemon.

You'll also have to deal with incoming requests to the new port on the
firewall.

        tony

--
use hotmail com for any email replies

SMTP port 25 -> port ??

Post by Nate » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 18:49:01

> > I would like to setup my box to answer SMTP request on Port 25 + another
> > port so that I can get around earthlinks bullshit block of port 25 when
> > use them for dialup access. If someone can please run me through how I
> > might be able to do this I would appreciate it.

> In sendmail.mc, above the MAILER() definitions:

>     dnl Maintain the standard port 25.
>     DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=MTA')dnl
>     dnl Add a listener on Port 26.
>     DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=26, Name=MTA')dnl

> Rebuild the sendmail.cf and restart the sendmail daemon.

> You'll also have to deal with incoming requests to the new port on the
> firewall.

>         tony

I didnt find a file named sendmail.mc, however I did lookin my sendmail.cf
file and found lines close to what you discribed in the message, I added
another line for MTA specifing port 26 and it works great. Thank you for
your help, makes my life just a little easier not having to change my
laptops settings depending on if i'm connected via earthlink or some other
internet connection :)

Nate

1. RH7.2 - Connection refused on port 25/SMTP

Cheers,

I am trying to send mail to my server (RH7.2) from a work station, but
the connections keeps getting refused.  I have never had problems when
using RH 6.2, and this is baffing me.

I have disabled the firewall as I thought that might be causing the
problem, to no avail.

This is the message I receive when trying to telnet to port 25 of the
server:

Trying 192.168.0.10...

thanks

jeff

2. How do I async spawn within a pipeline?

3. Help: ipfwadm and SMTP (port 25)

4. Elinux emulator

5. attempted TCP outbound SMTP port 25 when go to web site http://iNet-POLICE.com/

6. editor on a RISC 6000, AIX 3.1

7. Immediate disconnect while connecting to SMTP, port 25

8. Wrong DNS when using DHCP

9. Forwarding port 25 (mail smtp) to another system

10. Cannot connect to port 25 (SMTP) via PPPoE

11. forwarding smtp port 25

12. Turn off SMTP port 25 in SERVICES file?

13. Using SSH Tunnel To Forward Port 25 (SMTP) From Off Campus