Problem with compiling kernel (as86, ld86)

Problem with compiling kernel (as86, ld86)

Post by Martin Pale » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

In final stage of compiling kernel 2.2.3 under RHL 5.2 (image making) i
got two errors... as86 and ld86 not found...
I have only as and ld installed and can't find those as86 and ld86.  I
tried as and ld, but they don't support
command line arguments as set in Makefile.

Any idea where to get them or how to fix this error ?

--

"Failure is not an option."
              - Sarah Kerrigan

Problem with compiling kernel (as86, ld86)

Post by K Le » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

First of all, this is to Martin.  Please do not post in HTML, even if it's
encasulated in MIME.

Secondly, sounds like Martin's missing bin86, the app which provides the
assembler and assembly linker for Linux.  Reinstall it and see what
happens.

But for the fellow below, deboot, I don't know if you're getting the same
erorr messages as Martin, but if you are, then try what I suggested to
him, but if not, then have you done the necessary upgrades?  Check the
README for the things you needed to upgrade before trying to compile the
kernel.

Steve

: I have a similar problem -- i cant compile kernel 2.2.4 on my redhat 5.2
: machine -- id like to know why myself

: >
: > --------------8A970A74CC8E7D35C9319ADE
: >
: > In final stage of compiling kernel 2.2.3 under RHL 5.2 (image making) i
: > got two errors... as86 and ld86 not found...
: > I have only as and ld installed and can't find those as86 and ld86.  I
: > tried as and ld, but they don't support
: > command line arguments as set in Makefile.
: >
: > Any idea where to get them or how to fix this error ?

1. as86/ld86 problems compiling 1.3.35 kernel

As always, I'm afraid I may be posting a question that's been answered
a billion times, so please bear with me if that's the case.

I'm attempting to compile the 1.3.35 kernel, which I've done successfully
before.  Of course, that was before I updated my system to be ELF compatible.
In so doing, I upgraded to gcc-2.7.0 and binutils-2.5.2l.17.  Now when I try
to compile the kernel, as86 complains that it doesn't know the -0 option.
This occurs near the end of the process, in arch/i386/boot.

Should I just go back to an older version of as86 (and ld86)?  Or is there
something else I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

        -Ed

Iowa State University                       Opinions are my own, etc, etc...

2. PPP server and win95

3. Compiling AS86 and LD86 under AIX/PS2 1.2.1 with GCC 2.2.2

4. RedHat 5.0, setting up TCP/IP

5. kernel 2.0.30 does not compile: as86 not found - what is as86???

6. stty on sparc solaris

7. Where do as86 and ld86 come from?

8. 2-color X trobles.

9. as86/ld86