8-bit clean shell for Linux?

Post by Ruediger Hels » Thu, 01 Jul 1993 01:41:26

Can you recommend a 8-bit clean shell for Linux? I am currently using
bash, and its a nice shell, but clobbers my name if I type it. I also tried zsh,
the result was not much better. Also, I do not like the C shells.

Looking at shells, it seems that the most demanding task for a  programmer
is to take a character and pass it on. Watching all those eight bits at a time
seems too difficult a task for a single man.

8-bit clean shell for Linux?

Post by Chet Ram » Fri, 02 Jul 1993 00:48:45

Quote:>Looking at shells, it seems that the most demanding task for a  programmer
>is to take a character and pass it on. Watching all those eight bits at a time
>seems too difficult a task for a single man.

Well, that is tough, but after an extensive program of study, I was able
to master it.  I'm a better person for it.

Seriously, the hardest thing about making bash 8-bit clean was devising
a new mechanism for marking quoted characters, since bash 1.12 uses the
eighth bit of a character to hold quoting status while doing expansion,
writing the code, and making it work.  There was also some work done on
readline, so it would not interpret the high bit as a meta-prefixed key
sequence.

No, I don't know when the next release will be.  Sorry.

Chet

--
        ``Times are hard, and you're afraid to pay the fee.
          So you find yourself somebody who can do the job for free.''

1. mac2lat1 Convert 8-bit quoted printable characters to 8-bit latin1

Tue 22-Feb-2000: Wrote

 5747 Feb 22 2000 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/unix/ts/mac2lat1
 mac2lat1 Convert 8-bit quoted printable characters to 8-bit latin1

(This means converting the = 7E type of denoted characters.)

   All the best, Timo

Timo's  procmail tips at  http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

2. Configuring sendmail for external mail

3. mulaw 8-bit to linear 8-bit conversion

4. Apache mod_ssl and mod_perl

5. Problem setting up linux PPP Server (not 8-bit clean)

6. PCI network card detection/initalization order

7. Establishing clean 8-bit connection with Linux

8. 2.5 PPP Server (Modem Problem)

9. Is there a 8-bit clean version of gopher for linux?

10. pppd 8 bit clean error when the ISP is 8 bit clean

11. SOLUTION TO PPP 8-BIT CLEAN ERROR

12. Curses library 8-bit clean, where can I find such thing?

13. Serial link is not 8-bit clean