Lilo on the master boot record

Post by H REG » Tue, 13 Apr 1993 02:26:07

Hi,

I've made a bit of a blunder!

I have installed lilo on the master boot record of my hard
disk instead of on the root partition for linux.

i.e. lilo is on /dev/hda instead of /dev/hda3

Does anybody know away of restoring my master boot record?

The disk is a 163Mb IDE drive with three partitions..

/dev/hda1 = 20Mb DOS (Drive C:)
/dev/hda2 = 16Mb Linux Swap Partition
/dev/hda3 = Linux Extended file System

Please help..

HR

Post by Thomas Mey » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 05:40:19

: Does anybody know away of restoring my master boot record?

To overwrite the Master Boot Record, start MS-DOS' FDISK command with
the option "/MBR". This will write the standard MS MBR.

No guarantees whatsoever! :)

Bye,
Thomas
--

Student of Computer Science   I IRC: mnemo
University of Bremen, Germany I     -o- INCREASE THE PEACE -o-

Post by Henrik Lu » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 19:10:39

>: Does anybody know away of restoring my master boot record?
>To overwrite the Master Boot Record, start MS-DOS' FDISK command with
>the option "/MBR". This will write the standard MS MBR.
>No guarantees whatsoever! :)
>Bye,
>Thomas
>--

>Student of Computer Science   I IRC: mnemo
>University of Bremen, Germany I     -o- INCREASE THE PEACE -o-

I think LILO makes a copy of the boot record.
Try finding that copy on your disk ( has MSDOS5.0 in the beginning, if
you used version 5.0).

Had to do find it myself because i wrote 512 bytes onto the first bytes
my HD, you know the master boot record, partition table etc.
(Norton utilities found it, copied it and my computer is alive).

I think this proves how stupid Dos is and how careful you have to be
when playing with power (LINUX).

Henrik Lund