Can't find the Texinfo stuff

Post by Erik Hei » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 15:31:12

Hallo,
I'm looking for the GNU Texinfo package, especially info and makeinfo as Linux
binaries or patches. I got the standard source, but wasn't able to compile it.

Thank you in advance.

1. man puts hard-to-read texinfo stuff on my screen

(if by any chance this has come up recently, sorry... my
system got wiped out, which is why I was trying to figure out
how to use stuff I hadn't before... haven't been reading news
lately)

On my system (Linux), when I do "man tar" this is what I get on
my screen:

This file documents the tape archive of the GNU system.
.
.
.

The file is in something called "usr/man/cat1/tar"

I'm aware that some people dispute whether texinfo or troff formats
should be used for some things, I guess that's what I'm seeing here.

Couple questions:  How is this *intended* to be used?  Is it possible
to set up "man" so that it uses both formats?

Is there a way to convert my "usr/man/cat1/tar" to troff format?

Is there a way to convert it to the .info format emacs can read?

Thanks

2. How to login from sendmail?

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. How can I print .ps files on my HPIIP w. ghostscript?

5. Bizarre packet drops under Solaris 2.4

6. URGENT! gcc can't find ios stuff!!

7. reading large corefiles?

8. TeX: texinfo not found (What is that?)

9. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

10. Plea for binary texinfo and newbie's tale of woe...

11. The new Slackware doesn't have texinfo.tex

12. I can't compile texinfo...Why?