Problem installing SLS 1.03

Post by David Crowl » Fri, 13 Aug 1993 08:59:30

Hello --

   I grabbed SLS 1.03 from tsx-11 the other day and I am having
a hard time getting it to work.  All I am trying to install right
now are the a disks.  Anyways I boot the a1.5 disk and get all the disks
installed onto my hardrives, /hda2 as /, /sda1 as /usr and /hda3 as swap.
Great and all, I make a boot floppy and boot it.  The kernel loads fine,
finds the hard drives, etc.  But just about the time it mounts /proc,
an error message fills the screen:

   Aug 11 00:12:33  init[1]:No more processes left for this runlevel.

   At this point, I can't do any thing and I can't see what the
last error message was because everything flys off the screen too
fast.

  386/25DX 4MEG
  IDE 76MB (/dev/hda)
  SCSI CONNER 100MB (/dev/sda)
  ST01 SCSI Controller...
  ET4000

   I think those are the essentials.  Any help would be
appreciated..  Thanks.

David Crowley

--
David Crowley

    ______________________ __,-='=====____  =================== _____=====`=
   (._____________________I__) - _-=_/    `---------=+=--------'

1. fdisk and mke2fs problem installing SLS 1.03

I have just jumped into the Linux world the last couple of days.
I think Linux looks interessting and would like to install it on my
system.
I have tried but so far not succeded.

My system:
  486DX2/66 VLB
  AMI BIOS 11/11/92
  8MB ram
  2 IDE HD
        HD1 (C: DOS only): Conner CP30254       240MB
    10 Heads, 55 sectors, 894 cylinders
  HD2 (Linux only) Seagate 1239A 200MB
     9 heads, 36 sectors, 954 cylinders
     (Autodetect hardisk says 12 heads, 36 sectors, 1272 cylinders)
  Latest SLS 1.03 as of 93-08-11 from tsx-11.mit.edu

My problem:
  The A1 boot floppy works ok, finds both harddisks and my ProAudio
Spectrum 16.
  The problem starts when I use Linux fdisk.
  when I craete a new partion I get: Warning! partion 1 has on odd number
of sectors,
  and when I use either mke2fs or mkswap I get lots and lots of:

  HD-controller reset
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x40
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x40
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x40
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x10
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x01
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x10
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x10
  HD: read_intr: Status = 0x59
  HD: read_intr: error = 0x40
  harddisk I/O error
  dev 0346 sector xxx

  To mke2fs a 100 MB partition takes forever (almost).
  If I make a smaller partition and let mke2fs finish and mount it I get:
  no space left on device. if I try to copy a file to it.

The second HD works just fine with DOS.
Am I missing something or  doing something stupid???

Any help appreciated!

        Rolf Danielsson

2. Is it possible to run linux on SunPCi card?

3. Problems installing SLS 1.03

4. IP Router with Firewall, Masquarade and LOGGING ?

5. Problem installing SLS 1.03

6. Why does scrolling sometimes mess up?

7. Problems installing SLS 1.03 (mke2fs)

8. PMax port. Disk config problem

9. Anyone Installed Metro-X Motif on SLS 1.03 -> Install sucks!!

10. Problem with SLS 1.03 install

11. SLS 1.03 install problems/comments

12. SLS 1.03 install problems (sed out of memory)

13. SLS 1.03 Install problem