SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

Post by Thomas Hobe » Tue, 27 Oct 1992 09:45:09

After 386BSD 0.1 came out I lost sight of Linux for a while and now
came back for a second look. Got the SLS distribution and installed it
on a Syquest 88MB removable hooked up to an Adaptec 1542. The version
seems to be SLS 0.98.1. The kernel sources wouldn't install on the
first run, because there was a phony symlink called /usr/src/linux in
some archive, which meant that a directory of the same name couldn't
be created. Now I went after X. Got my Xconfig and various dot files
from 386BSD and tried to run X. I got a complaint from the X server
that it couldn't open a TCP/IP socket. DISPLAY was set to :0 and I
tried unix:0, too, but the server still seemed to insist on a TCP/IP
transport. I was in a hurry to get it to work, so I tried including
TCP/IP in the kernel, however some include files seem to be missing in
the SLS distribution.

Questions:

1. Does XFree86 for Linux REALLY want a TCP/IP transport (that should
be soo much slower than Unix domain sockets or shared memory queues)?

2. Where can I get a TCP/IP distribution that includes all needed
files?

3. What's EFS (just highlights)?

Thanks for your time.
---

Wielandstr. 4      |

+49-30-851-50-21   |

1. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

        DDE to TCP/IP Real Time Data Pump

DDE2TCP, is a Real Time Data Pump used as a data bridge
between DDE applications and ANY host system using
TCP/IP (SUN,HP,IBM,Apple, etc).  DDE2TCP runs in the
background, totally transparent between server and target
system.

DDE2TCP is perfect for use with any MMI system such as FIX,
WONDERWARE,GENESIS,LabTech for real time update of SQL
databases residing on other hosts.  DDE2TCP comes with it's
own configurator for fast and effective setup.  DDE2TCP runs
on WINDOWS 3.1,3.11,95 and NT.  Site licenses,volume discounts
and modifications are available.  For more information on this
product or our other porducts and custom services contact:

                Marshall Rowe
                Custom Technology
                640 N. LaSalle Ste 284
                (312) 384-4104

        VISIT our WEB
        site    WWW.CUSTOM-TECH.COM

2. Wireless ZyAir G-220 w/ Linux (zd1211rw)

3. Latest Quota Version is..

4. How to ignore Ctrl-C from C Shell script?

5. Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 TCP/IP Problem with SL/IP connections

6. ABit KT7A and DMA

7. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

8. tcp/ip ppp hangup in sco 3242 tcp/ip 121

9. 0.99pl10 won't compile with TCP/IP configured