NFS /home directory : Different machines need different desktops

NFS /home directory : Different machines need different desktops

Post by Charles Erw » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 10:16:02

How would I get different machines to allow for different KDE
desktops.  I have some machines that use different directories etc and
I would like to specify for each host what desktop to use (ie have a
folder .desktop-hostname or the like)

Charles Erwin

NFS /home directory : Different machines need different desktops

Post by Charles Erw » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 23:26:31

I am still needing some help.  I know that at my college they have
this set up on IRIX to let you customize your desktop on each
computer.  That way you log in the same way, share your home
directory, but it creates files like .desktop-holberton.domain.edu

Does anyone know how to do this?

> How would I get different machines to allow for different KDE
> desktops.  I have some machines that use different directories etc and
> I would like to specify for each host what desktop to use (ie have a
> folder .desktop-hostname or the like)

> Charles Erwin

1. how to tranfer /home directory to different machine

I am having a problem with transferring the user's account in /home
directory from machine A to machine B.

Will I need to have shadow password for machine B if machine A uses shadow
password?

I have transferred these following files from machine A to B:

    * gshadwo & gshaddow-     files
    * group & group-                   files
    * passwd & passwd-            files

However, machine B didn't take machine A's password when I logged in after
rebooting......

Any suggestion is appreciated.....

TIA.

2. mail server

3. different icons in different desktops

4. 3/95

5. /etc/passwd - different on different machines?

6. hosts.allow shell script options

7. NIS: Different userids on different machines?

8. KOrganizer holiday file format?

9. search and delete different files in different directories

10. Makefiles involving files in different directories requiring different compilers

11. using different cgi-bin directories for different virtuals

12. Different File/Directory Priveledges for 2 Different Groups

13. Same command, same os, different machines, different results