Can't Compile Kernel 0.97

Post by Sakari Aalton » Sun, 16 Aug 1992 01:12:57

My attempt to build kernel 0.97 with gcc2.2.2 fails (at tools/build) because
the following files are missing::
     sys/types.h
     fcntl.h
     unistd.h

Specifically, they are not in /usr/include, that is, the directory that, as
far as I understand, should be used for tools/build.

I have files with these names among the kernel files. I tried copying them
into /usr/include, which makes the make succeed. However, build then fails
with the message
  Can't stat root device
Indeed, it seems that stat() ALWAYS returns -1...??

Does anyone know where I might obtain the missing files?

Out of curiosity: does anyone have an idea WHY the files are missing?
Or why stat() should return -1, no matter what the path,
"/usr/include", say?

Sakari Aaltonen                             Helsinki University of Technology

---  You can't keep a Finn down without him getting all red in the face  ----

1. problem when compiling kernel 0.97

After reading Lars Wirzenius' README for compiling 0.97 kernel, I tried to
compile the kernel with gcc2.2.2.
I got the following error message:

In file included from hosts.c:33:
aha1542.h:34: linux/types.h: No such file or directory
make [3]: *** [figure] Error 1
make [2]: *** [scsisubdirs] Error 1
make [1]: *** [kernelsubdirs] Error 1
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 1
I don't know what they mean. Are some files missing?
I have no problem to compile 0.96c.
Any advice is appreciated.

--
Jiansheng Zhao
Dept. Chem. Eng, Univ. of B. C., Canada. V6T 1Z4

2. lost space after ghost

3. Problem with gcc trying to compile 0.97 kernel - signal 11

4. Unwanted Kernal

5. FVWM 0.97 dies with 'Alarm clock'

6. LAN MAN printing

7. Compile error 0.97 hd.c

8. Novell file server emulator

9. Compiling 0.97

10. Compiling linux 0.97

11. sungem 0.97 driver doesn't work with "Sun GigabitEthernet/P 2.0" card.

12. Logitech Bus Mouse & Kernel 0.97