APM, ACPI, SMP, and P4's

Post by Fredderi » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 18:27:58

Greetings wonderous peoples of the internet newsgroup variety...

Just a quick query or five...  (deep breath)  Here goes...

Does ACPI do everything that APM used to, and more (so I can turn off APM),
or should I have both enabled in my kernel?
Also, this thing is a P4/Celeron 2GHz; does it's 'hyperthreading' make any
difference, how do I control it's use, does it need SMP support in the
kernel (I've heard mutterings that it does), and does this affect APM?

And just out of curiosity, does all that variable processor speed stuff
actually work properly and usefully?

Fredderic

APM, ACPI, SMP, and P4's

Post by Alexi » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 08:53:25

> Greetings wonderous peoples of the internet newsgroup variety...

Greetings, Earthling...

Quote:> Does ACPI do everything that APM used to, and more (so I can turn off
> APM),

Yes!  You need to have acpid running too.  YMMV, I couldn't get it to work
at first, but then it was fine with a newer kernel.  ACPI is superior to APM.
Check out http://www.acpi.info/

Quote:> or should I have both enabled in my kernel?

No!  Only one of these needs to be in control.

Quote:> Also, this thing is a P4/Celeron 2GHz; does it's 'hyperthreading' make
> any difference, how do I control it's use, does it need SMP support in
> the kernel (I've heard mutterings that it does), and does this affect
> APM?

'Aint got a clue!  You should rebuild you kernel with any optimisations
for it, and any relevant patches.  SMP support won't hurt, but I don't see
that it would help either if you have only one processor.
Quote:

> And just out of curiosity, does all that variable processor speed stuff
> actually work properly and usefully?

I think there is an option for it when you configure the newer kernels,
but it's intended for laptops, don't know if it works for desktops.  I may
be imagining it though.

Hth, Alexis