Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by The Wyve » Tue, 04 Aug 1992 10:08:46

Has anyone tried using X with an ATI Ultra card? I know there was some talk
about the Ultra a while back, but I must have missed the important posts. :)

I've now installed Linux v.0.96c and am attempting to set up X11, but when
I run startx, the screen just blanks, and the computer locks up.
Unfortunately, I don't have the manuals for the ATI card - for some reason
I have Diamond SpeedStar Plus manuals instead, so it's not so easy for me
to get the specs for the card, and I must admit I have no idea how to set up
Xconfig. I have a 486/33 with 8MB Ram and a 200MB IDE hard drive, plus the
ATI Ultra (1MB vram) and a Gateway2000 1024ni monitor.
Thanks in adv. for any help!

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Kevin E. Mart » Wed, 05 Aug 1992 00:57:30

|> Has anyone tried using X with an ATI Ultra card? I know there was some talk
|> about the Ultra a while back, but I must have missed the important posts. :)
|>
|> I've now installed Linux v.0.96c and am attempting to set up X11, but when
|> I run startx, the screen just blanks, and the computer locks up.
|> Unfortunately, I don't have the manuals for the ATI card - for some reason
|> I have Diamond SpeedStar Plus manuals instead, so it's not so easy for me
|> to get the specs for the card, and I must admit I have no idea how to set up
|> Xconfig. I have a 486/33 with 8MB Ram and a 200MB IDE hard drive, plus the
|> ATI Ultra (1MB vram) and a Gateway2000 1024ni monitor.
|> Thanks in adv. for any help!

There seems to be several people out there interested in this info so I thought
I'd post a followup.

I've ported x386 to 8514/A register compatible cards.  It is currently in alpha
testing, and will be released to the public as soon as we work out the problems.

The server should work on all video cards that are register level compatible
with the 8514/A.  This includes ATI Graphics Ultra and ATI Vantage.  I currently
have alpha testers with both of these cards, but I'm looking for beta testers
who have non-ATI 8514/A video cards.

Thanks,
Kevin
___
Kevin E. Martin               University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Peter Cla » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 00:51:56

You said you converted X to machines with "8514/A register comptability" - does
this mean you are running Linux on IBM PS/2 hardware?  I'm trying to get it to
install on SCSI 0 (of 2 drives) partition 1 but every time I boot it the system
cannot find my IBM Cashing SCSI controller.  Any ideas?

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Kevin Cummin » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 05:28:35

Quote:> You said you converted X to machines with "8514/A register comptability" - does
> this mean you are running Linux on IBM PS/2 hardware?  I'm trying to get it to
> install on SCSI 0 (of 2 drives) partition 1 but every time I boot it the system
> cannot find my IBM Cashing SCSI controller.  Any ideas?

Not necessary.  If I beleive the S3 documentation, the S3 86C911 Graphics
Accelerator Chips is 8514/A register compatible (as well as VGA register
compatible).

Kevin J. Cummings                       PrimeService
20 Briarwood Road                       A Computervision Company
Framingham, Mass.                       500 Old Connecticut Path
                                        Framingham, Mass.

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Peter Cla » Sun, 09 Aug 1992 08:17:26

Well, I was kinda hoping someone was running IBM PS/2 with SCSI controller
(Adaptec type - it's got Adaptec chips all over it at least though it's got
an IBM stamp...) but anyway, Linux boot (95c, 96c, 97) all won't recognise the
host adapter exists.

Anyone with any ideas?

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Jan Nicolai Langfel » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 03:24:54

Quote:> You said you converted X to machines with "8514/A register comptability" - does
> this mean you are running Linux on IBM PS/2 hardware?  I'm trying to get it to

8514/A is a grpahics card that works on AT bus, or MCA. It does not
imply a ps/2 machine.

Quote:> install on SCSI 0 (of 2 drives) partition 1 but every time I boot it the system
> cannot find my IBM Cashing SCSI controller.  Any ideas?

                 ^^^

There aren't any IBM scsi controllers on the list of supported ones.
And since ps/2's and ibm scsi controllers are not common in this
comunety the ods are that you need to write support for your scsi
controller yourself. :-(

The list of supported scsi controllers is on the FAQ (which is posted
here periodically).

Nicolai

--
Nicolai Langfeldt, "Bugs made while you wait"

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Peter Cla » Mon, 10 Aug 1992 04:27:23

Yea, well the IBM SCSI controller has Adaptec chips all over it.

Running X with ATI Ultra?

Post by Thomas Roe » Wed, 12 Aug 1992 15:49:05

Quote:>Not necessary.  If I beleive the S3 documentation, the S3 86C911 Graphics
>Accelerator Chips is 8514/A register compatible (as well as VGA register
>compatible).

That's wrong. The S3 86C911 chips is mostly the same as the 8514/A,
but it doesn't have all the registers/commands of an 8514/A. A driver
written after the VESA standards (which define what and 8514/A is)
wouldn't run on a 86C911.

- Thomas

First drink, then drive ...                     #include <sys/pizza.h>

1. trouble running Xwindows with an ATI Ultra Plus video card

I recently installed Linux V0.99 p9 on my 386 at home.  Everything works except
Xwindows.  When I type 'startx', the server fails, saying that no configured
devices were found.  My graphics card is an ATI Ultra Plus, which I did not
find in the modeDB file, and all my 'clocks' have failed thus far.

It gives the message 'card: ATI XL Wonder....the device driver requires that
you set clocks in Xconfig...'
Do I need to simply modify Xconfig (I have one in my home directory), or
is there something else telling the server which clocks to look for...
(it gives a list of clocks, some of which are in Xconfig, some of which are
not).
I'm running this with 5 megs ram, 16MB swap on a 386DX-33.

Running X386mono brings up an orange hatched background with the X mouse
icon, and then hangs.

Any ideas?

Michelle.

2. firewalls 101 - what goes where

3. Xwindows won;t run with ATI Graphics Ultra Pro EISA

4. Red Hat 4.2 install problem

5. 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra (Rage 128 Pro Ultra)

6. Adding/Using printers

7. Difference Between ATI Ultra XLR and Ultra Pro/WinTurbo

8. netcfg

9. cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

10. X, NEC 3FGx, and ATI Ultra don't work

11. Is ATI ULTRA PRO an accelerated card?

12. ATI Ultra & screen chars

13. ATI Graphics Ultra - Redhat 7.1