Mounting DirectCD 3.0 Media (ISO 9660/UDF) / UDF write support

Mounting DirectCD 3.0 Media (ISO 9660/UDF) / UDF write support

Post by Daniel Tscha » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:37:34

Hi

Does anybody know whether it's possible to mount a DirectCD 3.0 medium
on Linux and if yes, how? A DirectCD 3.0 medium contains a single
session with a single track but two filesystems. An ISO 9660 fs that
contains an UDF reader for Win32 and an UDF fs with actual data. If I
mount such a CD on Linux I see the ISO fs only, which is completely
useless. On Windows you can see the ISO filesystem only when there's no
UDF reader installed. As soon as you install the UDF reader on the ISO
fs, you can see the UDF fs but no longer the ISO fs. Other CD Writer
applications like Nero correctly detect two filesystems on such a
medium, so I assume this is some standard. I use Kernel version 2.2.17
and UDF version 0.9.2.1.

Do the kernel versions 2.4.x support writing to a mounted CD-RW with UDF

(like DirectCD on Windows)? The documentation of the UDF driver says
that this is not possible for 2.2.x versions because of a kernel
limitation. I can of course write to a UDF fs using a loop device and
then burn the image on a CD-RW. But this way I loose the advantages of
UDF.

Thanks in advance
    Daniel

Mounting DirectCD 3.0 Media (ISO 9660/UDF) / UDF write support

Post by Adam Shor » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Sounds to me like Linux isn't handling the fact that there are two
filesystems on the disc terribly well. If you are mounting it as a normal
CD-ROM it is likely that it is only picking up the ISO9660 filesystem
because that is the default in your fstab. It won't even look for the UDF
filesystem. Mounting it as UDF might not work either depending on how the
filesystems are arranged. IIRC it makes a difference where you put the start
of the filesystem on the disc (I think the TOC has to be in a certain
place). In your case it might be that the UDF filesystem is outside that
envelope and thus wouldn't work anyway. I assume the UDF reader for Windows
can resolve this problem (possibly by pretending that the UDF filesystem is
a disc in and of itself). I wouldn't have a clue how to get around that in
Linux.

I assume you've tried mounting it as a UDF filesystem. If not then it might
be worth trying, but I couldn't guarantee results.

Adam

Quote:> Hi

> Does anybody know whether it's possible to mount a DirectCD 3.0 medium
> on Linux and if yes, how? A DirectCD 3.0 medium contains a single
> session with a single track but two filesystems. An ISO 9660 fs that
> contains an UDF reader for Win32 and an UDF fs with actual data. If I
> mount such a CD on Linux I see the ISO fs only, which is completely
> useless. On Windows you can see the ISO filesystem only when there's no
> UDF reader installed. As soon as you install the UDF reader on the ISO
> fs, you can see the UDF fs but no longer the ISO fs. Other CD Writer
> applications like Nero correctly detect two filesystems on such a
> medium, so I assume this is some standard. I use Kernel version 2.2.17
> and UDF version 0.9.2.1.

> Do the kernel versions 2.4.x support writing to a mounted CD-RW with UDF

> (like DirectCD on Windows)? The documentation of the UDF driver says
> that this is not possible for 2.2.x versions because of a kernel
> limitation. I can of course write to a UDF fs using a loop device and
> then burn the image on a CD-RW. But this way I loose the advantages of
> UDF.

> Thanks in advance
>     Daniel

1. UDF aka DIRECTCD with Linux

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like to be able to write to a CD-RW disk without re-writing the entire
thing, and I already have several disks which are formatted this way.

I am able to mount it, but that seems somewhat buggy.  (when trying to
copy from the disk to the HD:  "cp: cannot stat file.dwf")
TIA
Eric

2. Adaptec AHA 1542 CF

3. UDF read\write support...

4. "RPM Failed to install "- Please help

5. UDF read\write support for cd writers...

6. comx: update last_rx after netif_rx

7. Kernel 2.3 support writing UDF?

8. August issue

9. UDF write support problem in 2.5.7

10. UDF Write Support with CD-RW and CD-R Devices ?

11. UDF write support?

12. UDF read\write support for cd writers...

13. UDF / Packet writing support