Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Post by Fahad G » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:18:06

Hi,

I have Redhat 9.0 installed on a i686. Yesterday I downloaded the
following updates from redhat:

glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-debug-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-profile-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
glibc-utils-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

I know they're all for i386 but it seems that my system was all right
with it (I updated ethereal and evolution and both were i386 rpms).

Anyway, so this is what I did to upgrade my current packages:

rpm glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm -U

while updating glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm it gave a postinstall error but
continued updating the rest of the rpms. However, after that, *nothing*
worked on my system. It would give me a "segmentation fault" for any
command that I would try (except for ls, cp and rm). I tried rebooting
my system but it skipped all runtime levels and halted; it just wouldn't
mount my drive. I then used the setup CD to see if I could chroot to my
partition and fix it but it wouldn't let me do that either. I could see
my partition, copy and move files from it but I couldn't mount it as
root. It kept giving me the same "segmentation fault" again and again.
So well, in the end I gave up and reinstalled the whole system by
upgraded the current distribution to Redhat 9.0. It appeared that by the
end of the upgrade, it *still* didn't work and gave me the same "init
runlevel could not be started, skipping" and halted the system. I then
again tried booting it with my setup CD and tried 'chroot'ing to my root
partition but in vain; kept getting "segmentation fault". When all
failed, I was forced into formatting my partition and reinstalling
everything - sigh.

what's wrong with the God damned rpm? How could any package be that
severe? Is that a bug? Ok I understand one possibility is that it was
wrong of me to try an i386 rpm on a i686, but it seemed to work for
every other update I did (openssl, ethereal, evolution, sendmail, samba)
and they work all fine. How was I to know that *this* particular package
could ruin everything for me and I'd be forced into formatting my
partition. Please enlighten me. Thank you,

Fahad

Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Post by ynotsso » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:59:29

[...]
 > rpm glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm -U
[...]

Normally, command-line options precede the arguments, e.g.:

#  rpm -U glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

but one would think that an error or usage message would result.

     tony

--
use hotmail.com for any email replies

Post by nobodadd » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:57:35

> [...]
>  > rpm glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm -U
> [...]

> Normally, command-line options precede the arguments, e.g.:

> #  rpm -U glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

> but one would think that an error or usage message would result.

>      tony

And I'm not sure bash filename expansion would result in the packages being
installed in the correct order, dependency-wise.

Another cautionary tale... rpm and a glibc upgrade don't really seem to mix
well.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Post by ynotsso » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:35:00

Quote:>> Normally, command-line options precede the arguments, e.g.:
>> #  rpm -U glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm
>> but one would think that an error or usage message would result.

> And I'm not sure bash filename expansion would result in the packages
> being installed in the correct order, dependency-wise.

> Another cautionary tale... rpm and a glibc upgrade don't really seem to
> mix well.

rpm deals with dependencies in the proper order if all the necessary components
are on the command line, as in the shell wildcard expansion above.

I've dealt successfully with glibc upgrades using both RH up2date and
apt-get, but never with rpm.

       tony

--

Post by Ville Vain » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:59:03

> I've dealt successfully with glibc upgrades using both RH up2date and
> apt-get, but never with rpm.

rpm works ok also. On a script to update rh7.3 I execute the following
command in a directory that has i385, i686 etc. as subdirectories
(mirrored from updates.redhat.com):

rpm -Uvh i386/glibc-common* i386/glibc-devel*  i686/glibc*
  i386/glibc-debug-static* i386/glibc-utils*

Post by nobodadd » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:49:12

>> I've dealt successfully with glibc upgrades using both RH up2date and
>> apt-get, but never with rpm.

> rpm works ok also.

<snip>

Well, I've used rpm to upgrade glibc myself.  I was just commenting on the
frequency of the "Omigod, I just tried to upgrade glibc with rpm, and now
nothing on my system works" subject here on the *linux* newsgroups.

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Post by Captain_Mill » Tue, 13 May 2003 06:14:44

I've got the same problem as the originator of this thread, but I've
done nothing with glibc (or even rpm in the past two or three weeks).

Woke up this morning to see a "can't find modprobe" error spewed over
my login screen, logged in...then got alerted to a "segmentation
fault" (whatever that is) when I LS'd.

Last time this happened, a month or so ago, I ended up doing a clean
install.

Is there anything less severe I can do to fix this?

TIA
CM

> >> I've dealt successfully with glibc upgrades using both RH up2date and
> >> apt-get, but never with rpm.

> > rpm works ok also.
> <snip>

> Well, I've used rpm to upgrade glibc myself.  I was just commenting on the
> frequency of the "Omigod, I just tried to upgrade glibc with rpm, and now
> nothing on my system works" subject here on the *linux* newsgroups.

Something terribly wrong with RPM or the latest Redhat updates

Post by Sybren Stuve » Tue, 13 May 2003 06:23:02

Captain_Miller enlightened us with:

Quote:> Woke up this morning to see a "can't find modprobe" error spewed over
> my login screen, logged in...then got alerted to a "segmentation
> fault" (whatever that is) when I LS'd.

Autch...

Quote:> Last time this happened, a month or so ago, I ended up doing a clean
> install.

What did you do to make this happen? Which distro+version are you using?
Which kernel? What are you doing to your system?

Quote:> Is there anything less severe I can do to fix this?

First, start by giving information.

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

Post by arja » Tue, 20 May 2003 19:37:29

> Hi,

> I have Redhat 9.0 installed on a i686. Yesterday I downloaded the
> following updates from redhat:

> glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> glibc-debug-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> glibc-profile-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> glibc-utils-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
> nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

> I know they're all for i386 but it seems that my system was all right
> with it (I updated ethereal and evolution and both were i386 rpms).

> Anyway, so this is what I did to upgrade my current packages:

> rpm glibc-* nptl-devel-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm -U

> while updating glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm it gave a postinstall error but
> continued updating the rest of the rpms. However, after that, *nothing*
> worked on my system. It would give me a "segmentation fault" for any
> command that I would try (except for ls, cp and rm). I tried rebooting
> my system but it skipped all runtime levels and halted; it just wouldn't
> mount my drive. I then used the setup CD to see if I could chroot to my
> partition and fix it but it wouldn't let me do that either. I could see
> my partition, copy and move files from it but I couldn't mount it as
> root. It kept giving me the same "segmentation fault" again and again.
> So well, in the end I gave up and reinstalled the whole system by
> upgraded the current distribution to Redhat 9.0. It appeared that by the
> end of the upgrade, it *still* didn't work and gave me the same "init
> runlevel could not be started, skipping" and halted the system. I then
> again tried booting it with my setup CD and tried 'chroot'ing to my root
> partition but in vain; kept getting "segmentation fault". When all
> failed, I was forced into formatting my partition and reinstalling
> everything - sigh.

I've had _exactly_ the same problems as you described after installing
an i386-glibc rpm.
I did find an easy way out though. Booted from the setup CD, couldn't
chroot (seg fault, indeed) but _could_ do:

rpm -U --force --root /mnt/sysimage glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

And that did the trick.

Quote:> what's wrong with the God damned rpm? How could any package be that
> severe? Is that a bug? Ok I understand one possibility is that it was
> wrong of me to try an i386 rpm on a i686, but it seemed to work for
> every other update I did (openssl, ethereal, evolution, sendmail, samba)
> and they work all fine. How was I to know that *this* particular package
> could ruin everything for me and I'd be forced into formatting my
> partition. Please enlighten me. Thank you,

> Fahad

Arjan

1. Did I do something wrong with RPM?

I installed RH 6.1 over the weekend and then downloaded the latest
updates and installed them.

rpm -qa | grep kernel

comes up with:

kernel-utils-2.2.14-5.0
kernel-doc-2.2.14-5.0
kernelcfg-0.5-5
kernel-utils-2.2.14-12
kernel-ibcs-2.2.14-12
kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.14-
kernel-headers-2.2.14-5.
kernel-2.2.14-5.0
kernel-2.2.14-12
kernel-doc-2.2.14-12
kernel-headers-2.2.14-12
kernel-source-2.2.14-12

How can it think kernel-2.2.14-5.0 and kernel-2.2.14-12 are installed?
Is this a problem? Do I need to fix it? How?

Thanks,
Tad

2. Repost Secondary Controller

3. redhat rpm error: can't install or update rpms

4. Good hardware venders???

5. does anybody successfully update rpm 3 to rpm 4 in redhat 6.22?

6. dell + 3c905c + linux + wake on lan

7. Updated to latest RH7 RPMs - POP3 stopped working

8. suse 7.2 boot making

9. something wrong when i try to install the Redhat 5.2

10. Redhat 7.3: Latest Kernel Update Breaks iptables "--match owner"?

11. RedHat cd - wrong rpms directory

12. Redhat 6.2 to 7.1 update went wrong :(

13. updating kernal 2.2.2 on redhat through rpm