character based user interface to run on linux

character based user interface to run on linux

Post by Tim Beze » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:31:50

I need to update an existing production system that has many character based
entry screens.  It
is currently running on a unix platform, and I would like to use linux for
the new system.  What
can I use to create character based entry screens on linux?  I will be able
to convert some
screens to gui web browser type screens, but a few definitely must stay
character based.
The entry screens will need to query a database of course, probably Oracle.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Post by Robert M. Taylor, Jr » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:52:32

> I need to update an existing production system that has many character
> based
> entry screens.  It
> is currently running on a unix platform, and I would like to use linux for
> the new system.  What
> can I use to create character based entry screens on linux?  I will be
> able to convert some
> screens to gui web browser type screens, but a few definitely must stay
> character based.
> The entry screens will need to query a database of course, probably
> Oracle.

> Any ideas or suggestions?

> Thanks,

> Tim

Try :
man ncurses<enter>
at the command line. This is the curses console mode package for Linux and
many other *NIX-alikes.
--

character based user interface to run on linux

Post by Richard Pit » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:16:49

I presume you are talking about connecting multiple "dumb" terminals to a
Linux box

you can do this via a number of options - multi-serial ports (Digi-board,
etc.) or Serial concentrators (Portmaster, etc.) or you can run X-windows
servers under WinXX (95/98/NT/2K/XP) and use xterm remotely (similar to a
telnet session or remote dumb terminal in most respects)

If you can tell me a bit more about the older system, I can be more
specific. What type of old terminals did/does it use? Is the application
aware of termcap/terminfo?

I'm in the middle of exactly the same scenario - old system (migrated
from Tandy 16/6000 to Altos to SCO Xenix on PC to SCO Unix on PC and now
to Linux on AMD Athalon

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 C.E.O. Belcarra Messaging Corp.

Embedded Linux Systems: Design, Creation, Integration
Specializing in USB, Flash, and all things TCP/IP