can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Spot Revo » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:02:16

for some reason, i can't mount my second cdrom (which is a Hewlett
Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100). when i try to mount /dev/hdd (which is what
it shows up as), i get "not a valid block device". i know it's supposed
to be scd0 with the ide-scsi module loaded, but i can't even get that
loaded. when i try to insmod ide-scsi.o, i get a lot of "unresolved
symbol" errors. i tried the cdrom and cd writer HOWTOs on linuxdoc.org,
but they didn't help. if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it a

Post by Andrew Heltze » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:08:31

> for some reason, i can't mount my second cdrom (which is a Hewlett
> Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100). when i try to mount /dev/hdd (which is what
> it shows up as), i get "not a valid block device". i know it's supposed
> to be scd0 with the ide-scsi module loaded, but i can't even get that
> loaded. when i try to insmod ide-scsi.o, i get a lot of "unresolved
> symbol" errors. i tried the cdrom and cd writer HOWTOs on linuxdoc.org,
> but they didn't help. if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it a

I have this same problem with this same drive.  I'm still looking for an
answer on how to fix it.  I have notice that the drive works.  It just
won't mount.  For example, I can still use gtoaster to burn cd's.  However,
I can't manually mount the damn drive.

can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Spot Revo » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:49:10

i seem to at least have it working as a normal CD-ROM now, by changing
the /proc/ide/hdd/driver file to contain "ide-cdrom version 4.59" instead
of "(none)". now, i just need to find the proper ide-scsi driver name and
it should work just fine. redhat seems to be getting worse and worse with
each distro. i think i'll just go way back and install redhat 6.1, i
never had any trouble with that one.

>> for some reason, i can't mount my second cdrom (which is a Hewlett
>> Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100). when i try to mount /dev/hdd (which is
>> what it shows up as), i get "not a valid block device". i know it's
>> supposed to be scd0 with the ide-scsi module loaded, but i can't even
>> get that loaded. when i try to insmod ide-scsi.o, i get a lot of
>> "unresolved symbol" errors. i tried the cdrom and cd writer HOWTOs on
>> linuxdoc.org, but they didn't help. if someone could help me out, i'd

> I have this same problem with this same drive.  I'm still looking for an
> answer on how to fix it.  I have notice that the drive works.  It just
> won't mount.  For example, I can still use gtoaster to burn cd's.
> However, I can't manually mount the damn drive.

can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Jarrod Hyde » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:56:42

Instead of attempting to mount the burner as /dev/hdd, try mounting it as
/dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom1 (whichever one it is). This is how I mounted my
Sony burner in Red Hat 7.1. As for the ide-scsi driver.. it sounds like
you need to recompile your modules or recompile the kernel for scsi
emulation.

> i seem to at least have it working as a normal CD-ROM now, by changing
> the /proc/ide/hdd/driver file to contain "ide-cdrom version 4.59"
> instead of "(none)". now, i just need to find the proper ide-scsi driver
> name and it should work just fine. redhat seems to be getting worse and
> worse with each distro. i think i'll just go way back and install redhat
> 6.1, i never had any trouble with that one.

>>> for some reason, i can't mount my second cdrom (which is a Hewlett
>>> Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100). when i try to mount /dev/hdd (which is
>>> what it shows up as), i get "not a valid block device". i know it's
>>> supposed to be scd0 with the ide-scsi module loaded, but i can't even
>>> get that loaded. when i try to insmod ide-scsi.o, i get a lot of
>>> "unresolved symbol" errors. i tried the cdrom and cd writer HOWTOs on
>>> linuxdoc.org, but they didn't help. if someone could help me out, i'd

>> I have this same problem with this same drive.  I'm still looking for
>> an answer on how to fix it.  I have notice that the drive works.  It
>> just won't mount.  For example, I can still use gtoaster to burn cd's.
>> However, I can't manually mount the damn drive.

can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Andrew Heltze » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:00:52

This is the error message I get when I try to do that.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom1,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

also...

mount: special device /dev/sr0 does not exist

mount: /dev/scd0: unknown device

mount: /dev/sda: unknown device

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

-Andrew

> Instead of attempting to mount the burner as /dev/hdd, try mounting it as
> /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdrom1 (whichever one it is). This is how I mounted my
> Sony burner in Red Hat 7.1. As for the ide-scsi driver.. it sounds like
> you need to recompile your modules or recompile the kernel for scsi
> emulation.

>> i seem to at least have it working as a normal CD-ROM now, by changing
>> the /proc/ide/hdd/driver file to contain "ide-cdrom version 4.59"
>> instead of "(none)". now, i just need to find the proper ide-scsi driver
>> name and it should work just fine. redhat seems to be getting worse and
>> worse with each distro. i think i'll just go way back and install redhat
>> 6.1, i never had any trouble with that one.

>>> I have this same problem with this same drive.  I'm still looking for
>>> an answer on how to fix it.  I have notice that the drive works.  It
>>> just won't mount.  For example, I can still use gtoaster to burn cd's.
>>> However, I can't manually mount the damn drive.

can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Bob » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:24:58

use modprobe instead of insmod. that should load any other modules it
requires (the unresolved symbol error is usualy if a module you are loading
requires another module loaded. modprobe will automaticly load those
modules)

> for some reason, i can't mount my second cdrom (which is a Hewlett
> Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100). when i try to mount /dev/hdd (which is what
> it shows up as), i get "not a valid block device". i know it's supposed
> to be scd0 with the ide-scsi module loaded, but i can't even get that
> loaded. when i try to insmod ide-scsi.o, i get a lot of "unresolved
> symbol" errors. i tried the cdrom and cd writer HOWTOs on linuxdoc.org,
> but they didn't help. if someone could help me out, i'd appreciate it a

can't get HP cd writer to mount

Post by Spot Revo » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:07:51

well, i just recompiled my 2.4.5 kernel with ide-scsi support built in
and it seems to work just fine as scd0 (for reading) or sg0 (for
writing). and don't forget the
append="hdd=ide-scsi" line in lilo.conf
(where hdd would be whatever device your burner is, for me it's hdd)