remove boot loader

Post by Steve Kirkendal » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Linux is removed from HD and WinNT is installed but the boot loader is
> still remind in HD. Therefore the computer hangs when it is boot. How
> can remove it? Someone tells me to use "format" HD again with some
> parameters. What is the parameter?

In NT I don't know the answer, but for Windows95/98/ME the command is
"fdisk/mbr".  Maybe that works under NT too, or maybe it'll at least give
you a clue.  "mbr" stands for "Master Boot Record", Microsoft's name for
the boot sector.

"fdisk/mbr" does NOT clobber your hard disks, so you don't need to
reinstall the OS.  That's nice.  I'd be very careful about invoking
any reformatter, or of "fdisk" without the "/mbr" flag, because they
could clobber the disk.  And besides, the MBR resides outside any
partition, so repartitioning your hard disk or reformatting a partition
won't touch it.

remove boot loader

Post by Oracel Beginne » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:28:46

Hi,

Linux is removed from HD and WinNT is installed but the boot loader is
still remind in HD. Therefore the computer hangs when it is boot. How
can remove it? Someone tells me to use "format" HD again with some
parameters. What is the parameter?

Thanks
Terry

1. boot loader not showing up; installed boot loader record on /dev/hda2

Hello,
I installed Red Hat 7.3 but installed boot loader record on the first
sector of boot partition (/dev/hda2) instead of /dev/hda Master boot
record. When I restarted my laptop after installation, Grub did not
appear and Windows XP home edition loaded. I am guessing this happened
because I installed Grub in /dev/hda2. How do I go to linux? How do I
copy the bootloader from /dev/hda2 to MBR? Thanks.

2. 2.2.18: difficulties with Ensoniq 5880 (es1371) rev 0x03?

3. Removing LILO boot loader

4. s/key

5. Removing FreeBSD Boot loader

6. Netscape Communicator styles

7. Removing x86 boot loader, anyone?

8. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology

9. Remove Corel Linux Boot Loader????

10. How does one remove FreeBSD's Boot Loader?

11. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

12. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

13. Dual booting Windoze 95 and Linux with Quantum Dynamic Boot Loader Installed