Compatibility question

Post by Christopher Colli » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 18:30:45

Hi I have some questions over compatibility of some devices, please dont
flame me if they have been asked before. I would prefer if any answers were
mailed to me at the email address below.

Question, will the following hardware work with Linux, and if so what drivers
do I need and where do I get them from:

1) Mitsumi CDROM with 16 bit interface (pretty sure its not SCSI)

2) ESCOM Archiv/Maynard compatible tape streamer (I think it connects to
   the floppy interface.

3) 3Com 3c505 Ethernet card.

I do not have any of the above but I need a CDROM + Tape streamer + ethernet
card soon.  If anybody has experience of these I would like to know.

-------
Christopher Collins
Ciba-Geigy AG
Technical Infrastructure              ++41 61 69 79112 Telephone
Polymer Informatics                   ++41 61 69 78624 Faxsimile
R-1045.3.37

Switzerland

Boomshanka

1. Video Card (Tseng 4000/W32i) compatibility and other compatibility questions

I am purchasing a new PC and I am hoping to Run Linux with
XFree on it.

I have looked at the FAQs to try and determine if my video card will
be compatible.  I had heard to stay away from Diamond cards becasue
there are come problems with them.

Well, I could not find video cards listed in the FAQ hardware howto that
I found.  This seemd very odd to me.

Well, I am looking at two different systems.
Using two different cards.

   1.   One uses the ATI Graphics Ultra Pro
        which is based on the mach32 chip

   2.   The other uses a card based on the Tseng 4000/W32i chip.

I am probably getting the second of these.

Has anybody got Linux and Xfree working with either of these cards
or know where I can find this information in the FAQ's?

Also, in general, do I need to worry about checking every component
of my system for compatibility?  Do  most components work with
linux and Xfree?

Thanks for the info.

Dan Clancy

2. always reboot when install Sol8 on Intel STL2 + PIII 1G CPU

3. Dell Poweredge 600 SC Slackware Compatibility question

4. sound + SCSI + MIDI on one card?

5. Newbie Buying Custom Built System-Compatibility Questions

6. Q: ssh vs telnet

7. AMD XP Compatibility question

8. Adaptec 2920/HP T4000

9. Compatibility questions.

10. Newbie : Some Compatibility Questions.:

11. Compatibility question??

12. linux compatibility question for new system

13. DEC DEFPA FDDI Card Compatibility Question