RPMS: Installed yet not Installed

Post by PDG » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone had the problem when your RPM database get corrupted and you
cannot install an RPM cuz it says its not installed, but you can't install
it cuz its say it is?

Can I modify the database directly?

--
PDG--"We bring bad things to life"

For PGP Public key-- http://webcrush.com/pgp.htm

RPMS: Installed yet not Installed

Post by Mike Jackso » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You can tell rpm to rebuild the database, which ought to fix the corruption.
If I remember
correctly, the command would be "rpm --rebuilddb", but you might want to check
it first.

> Has anyone had the problem when your RPM database get corrupted and you
> cannot install an RPM cuz it says its not installed, but you can't install
> it cuz its say it is?

> Can I modify the database directly?

> --
> PDG--"We bring bad things to life"

> For PGP Public key-- http://webcrush.com/pgp.htm

--
--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson

http://www.qualimetrics.com

RPMS: Installed yet not Installed

Post by wbroc » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Or overide it with

rpm -Uvh somepackage.rpm --force

> You can tell rpm to rebuild the database, which ought to fix the corruption.
> If I remember
> correctly, the command would be "rpm --rebuilddb", but you might want to check
> it first.

> > Has anyone had the problem when your RPM database get corrupted and you
> > cannot install an RPM cuz it says its not installed, but you can't install
> > it cuz its say it is?

> > Can I modify the database directly?

> > --
> > PDG--"We bring bad things to life"

> > For PGP Public key-- http://webcrush.com/pgp.htm

> --
> --mikej
> -=-----
> mike jackson

> http://www.qualimetrics.com

RPMS: Installed yet not Installed

Post by Michael 'BeLFrY' S. E. Krau » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

G'day...

Quote:> Yes. But rpm -e <...> worked!

Still strongly advised to do a 'rpm --rebuilddb' even so.  This is because the
db has somehow gotten corrupted and it is advisable to do so to avoid future
problems.

=)

Ciao...

Michael.

1. NTFS/HPFS install bug not fixed yet...updated install disks still don't work:-(

Hi there,

I posted some details about a problem with the install routine not
being able to update an existing installation.

RH acknowledged this bug and made available new boot image and
update image to use.  I have downloaded these and tried, still
 no go.

The procedure is supposed to be like this:

1. Boot from new disk.
2. Type "linux update text" (Without the quotes) for text install.
3. After loading the boot disk you will be prompted to insert
   the update disk.
4. Update disk runs a few seconds saying "updating anaconda",
   and continues.

All should then be fine BUT, a very BIG BUT, it still fails to
find my Linux partition on </dev/sdc6> (Third hard disk).
It insists that it can not mount </dev/sdb6> on the second hard
disk which is an NTFS partition (For Win NT4).

My system:

Disk 1 = SCSI 4.3Gb
Disk 2 = SCSI 4.3Gb
Disk 3 = SCSI 4.3Gb

There are no Linux partitions on the first disk (DOS, WIN95,
WinNT and OS/2)

Disk 2 has NTFS and OS/2 HPFS partitions as well as a the following
Linux layout:

Linux : 'sdb5'  100Mb  "/boot"

Linux : 'sdb8'  128Mb  "Swap"

Linux : 'sdb9'  2000Mb "/"

Disk 3 is as follows:

Linux : 'sdc6'  2100Mb "/usr

The update images were supposed to fix a few other things but
those items have not been an issue for me so I don't know if they did.

The work around for this problem is to use fdisk and change the
partition id from 7 to 17 (Hidden NTFS/HPFS).  This allows
the install to proceed.  Very annoying to say the least.

Now why is RH going down the track of creating all these problems?

RH 5.2 seemed to me to be quite good and easy to install, since RH6
things
have gone down hill, especially seeing the problems other people have.

Have any others found this problem?

Anthony

2. some xdm questions

3. linux thinks that rpm is both installed and not installed

4. Three Small Problems

5. Red Hat RPM troubles: installed and not installed at the same time

6. DirectoryIndex index.html

7. rpm -e reports rpm package not installed

8. Race Car Game

9. RPM 3 does not install RPM 4

10. Install Probs (yet another install question)

11. install problem (almost solved but not yet)

12. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install

13. RPM looks like in installs package but doesn't actually install