PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) and Linux ???

PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) and Linux ???

Post by Sohail M. Pare » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 07:32:34

Has anybody ported PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) on Linux. I know its
available (FOR FREE !!!) for BSD386. Its a great tool for parallel/distributed
application developed by Oak Ridge National Lab.

Sincerely,

Sohail

--
     Sohail M. Parekh                Grumman  Data Systems

     (713) 483-5912                  Houston, TX 77034

Post by William Mag » Fri, 09 Jul 1993 23:39:07

Quote:M. Parekh) writes:
>Has anybody ported PVM (Parallel Virtual Machine) on Linux. I know its
>available (FOR FREE !!!) for BSD386. Its a great tool for

parallel/distributed

Quote:>application developed by Oak Ridge National Lab.

I brought PVM home and got it working on my Linux in about an hour.  Your
mileage may vary.  I ran the test programs, but I did _not_ test it very
thoroughly, so I wouldn't call my changes a port.  Once I do get a tested
version up, I intend to send the appropriate files to the developers, so
they can include Linux as a supported architecture.

BTW, most of the changes involved eliminating socket code that Linux
didn't support.  A couple more #ifdef's and I was up and running.

--
William Magro                                       NeXTMail welcome

1. Linux & PVM (parallel virtual machine)

Has anyone used this package, or very familiar with how it works?  Does it
allow disk AND memory to be shared across nodes?  Or, in other words, do
apps have to be written specifically to take advantage of PVM, or does PVM
take care of all the low-level coordination for you, providing a single
instance or single image of the OS across multiple nodes?  Or, put even
another way, does PVM implement or even remotely resemble the CC-NUMA spec?
Any info greatly appreciated!  Doubly thankful if you would email as well as
posting here.

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. Compiled POP server for SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2?

3. problems using PVM on an SGI MP machine

4. how to set locale ?

5. Linux virtual machine under linux? (chroot)

6. Boot messages - "Failed" ??

7. Virtual Machines vs. Virtual Hosts - Is it possible?

8. Long delay responding to telnet

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Virtual machines: multiple linux in 1 PC ?

11. User Mode Linux and open source virtual machines

12. Configuring linux for NAT on virtual machine

13. Solaris 7 on a Virtual Machine (power of linux !)