Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

Post by George Czer » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Its been my understanding that the Red Hat 2.2.x kernel inherently
supports reading from and writing to OS/2 HPFS partitions.  Can
anyone confirm or deny that Mandrake implemented this "feature"?

I'm using the LM 7.0-2 version (kernel 2.2.14-15mdk), and have no
trouble mounting and reading from the OS/2 HPFS partitions, but so
far have not been able to "write" to them, either as root or anyone
else!  I keep getting an error message telling me that the file
system is a "read-only" file system.

The current fstab entries are shown below:

 /dev/sda1/   /usr/os2boot   hpfs
 user,etc,dev,suid,rw,noauto,conv=binary,uid=501,gid=503,umask=0 1 1

 /dev/sdb1/   /usr/os2data   hpfs
 user,etc,dev,suid,rw,noauto,conv=binary,uid=501,gid=503,umask=0 1 1

Has anyone else had success in this area?

George

Post by Ken Walt » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Its been my understanding that the Red Hat 2.2.x kernel inherentlysupports reading from and writing to OS/2 HPFS partitions.  Cananyone confirm or deny that Mandrake implemented this "feature"?I'm using the LM 7.0-2 version (kernel 2.2.14-15mdk), and have notrouble mounting and reading from the OS/2 HPFS partitions, but sofar have not been able to "write" to them, either as root or anyoneelse!  I keep getting an error message telling me that the filesystem is a "read-only" file system.The current fstab entries are shown below:  /dev/sda1/   /usr/os2boot   hpfs  user,etc,dev,suid,rw,noauto,conv=binary,uid=501,gid=503,umask=0 1 1 /dev/sdb1/   /usr/os2data   hpfs  user,etc,dev,suid,rw,noauto,conv=binary,uid=501,gid=503,umask=0 1 1Has anyone else had success in this area?George

Sound like what I head on ZDTV.  Any file system not supporting
access control like FAT and HPFS are "read-only". 8-(

Ken Walter

Remove -zamboni to reply
All the above is hearsay and the opinion of no one in particular

Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

(Please break your lines. while it may look OK on your software, it is unreadable
on most other people's.)

Quote:>>Its been my understanding that the Red Hat 2.2.x kernel inherentlysupports

reading from and writing to OS/2 HPFS partitions.

Quote:>Sound like what I head on ZDTV.  Any file system not supporting
>access control like FAT and HPFS are "read-only". 8-(

FAT is writable with no trouble (only by root by default but you can letusers
write as well). HPFS last I read is read only at least in part because IBM has
been less than forthcoming about the innards of HPFS.

Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

Post by plu.. » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I believe (don't quote me ;P) that the new 2.4.0 kernel will have support for
writing to HPFS partitions, as well as other nifty stuff like USB and true
Plug-N-Pray support, as well as support for speech synth cards even at boot
time.

Check out ftp.kernel.org for the latest release... 2.4.0 isn't quite out yet
but i believe the latest alpha is 2.3.99-prepatch something or other and it's
basically a rough version of what will soon be 2.4.0.

Of course, as usual, make sure to back up carefully before mucking around
with new major kernel releases

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

Post by ksoz » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

About those line breaks...  I find that if you're using Netscape 4.72 you can go to preferences|Messages| and
select Message Wrapping solving that problem real fast.  Just a helpful hint (:o>)

> (Please break your lines. while it may look OK on your software, it is unreadable
> on most other people's.)

> >>Its been my understanding that the Red Hat 2.2.x kernel inherentlysupports
> reading from and writing to OS/2 HPFS partitions.

> >Sound like what I head on ZDTV.  Any file system not supporting
> >access control like FAT and HPFS are "read-only". 8-(

> FAT is writable with no trouble (only by root by default but you can letusers
> write as well). HPFS last I read is read only at least in part because IBM has
> been less than forthcoming about the innards of HPFS.

1. Is mounting HPFS-os/2 partition read/write now possible??

As of 1.3.24, no.  I'm working on it though........

(Got it about half done.  So far, I haven't released any code, because its
nowhere near functional yet.  But keep posted.....)

/sj/

Scott Johnson --  Graduate Slave, ECE Department, Oregon State University
Check out my new (but unfinished) Web page--http://www.ece.orst.edu/~johnsos
If a million people do something stupid, it is still a stupid thing.
                                                        -Opus

2. interactive reading from stdin?

3. WRITE access to HPFS partitions via linux

4. just thinking...

5. wanted: HPFS READ-WRITE driver for linux

6. Installing Linux from a NFS server

7. HPFS - read-only, is there a read-write version?

8. adsl and 3 computers

9. Read-write HPFS?

10. Read-Write HPFS?

11. Read/write access of NT partitions from Linux?

12. Linux and HPFS read/write - when ?

13. Does Linux write to a HPFS partition ?