Linux C-news relaynews setuid problem

Post by Chris Royl » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 07:36:43

I have just ported C-news may 92 performance release afresh from the
original distribution and seem to have a problem.

When newsrun is run, it invokes, somewhere along the line, relaynews.
Relaynews seems to want to do a setuid and can't do it with the message

All of the file permissions seem to be OK, and so far as I can tell
the partition is mounted with suid enabled (mount parms "default" and
"rw,suid" both produced the above errors - perhaps someone in c.o.l. can
advise ?). My friend and I are rather stumped.

If it is any use, the following also occurs :-

News articles posted localled & incoming batches are shunted into
/usr/spool/news/in.coming/bad and "ns" files are appearing in
/usr/spool/news/in.coming, too. "/usr/local/lib/news/errlog" is
empty, and the batcher is producing no errors.

Also, the "tin" newsreader produces a set[ug]id failed (Operation not
Permitted) error despite having the relevant attributes set.

For the interested, my partitions are mounted as follows :-

/dev/hdb2      /    ext2    rw,suid
/dev/hda2      /usr ext2    rw,suid

... and the news files/binaries are in /usr/local/lib/news &
/usr/local/lib/newsbin respectively.

Please reply by *MAIL* as I can't actually read any news at present
(all news/mail goes to the Linux box - mail is delivered, news isn't -
because of the above !)

Can anyone help ?

---
Objectronix Limited                 Windows systems written to order
Chris Royle : Managing Director     PC Hardware / Software consultancy

Phone : +44 532 661536              Cheap Mail & News Feeds over UUCP

Post by Ed Ca » Wed, 23 Jun 1993 15:21:26

: I have just ported C-news may 92 performance release afresh from the
: original distribution and seem to have a problem.

Anyone know where one can pick up the latest version of Cnews?  Shouldn't
be hard to port - 3.0 wasn't :)
--

"I've met many thinkers and many cats, but the wisdom of cats is infinitely
 superior."      -- Hippolyte Taine  (1828-1893)

Post by A. Bryan Curnu » Thu, 24 Jun 1993 14:02:48

>Anyone know where one can pick up the latest version of Cnews?

I got my copy from uunet, but C News' README.old says:

Quote:

> The current C News distribution can currently always be retrieved by
> anonymous ftp from ftp.cs.toronto.edu in file pub/c-news/c-news.Z (a shell
> archive) or pub/c-news/c-news.tar.Z (a tar archive) and the complete set
> of patches can also be found on ftp.cs.toronto.edu in the directory
> pub/c-news/patches.  FTP during our peak hours (12h00-17h00 Eastern) is
> not encouraged.

Ed Carp continues:

Quote:>  Shouldn't
>be hard to port - 3.0 wasn't :)

It isn't -- compiles (and runs!) fairly nicely if you answer the
'build' questions just right.
--
Bryan Curnutt                                  Stoner Associates, Inc.

1. C-News newsspool renouncing setuid due to NEWSPATH

Hi, please could somebody offer advice on a problem with C-News?

I'm trying to set it up on Linux Slackware 1.2.3 and have got it going
reasonably okay but can only post (via tin) as root.

It seems that inews calls injnews (?) which eventually calls
newsspool. newsspool is owned by news/news with the 's' bit set for
the userid. However when I post then newsspool complains about my
NEWSPATH and says it is renouncing the setuid bit (hence i can't post
as i don't have access to /var/spool/news/in.posting).

I've tried setting NEWSPATH to null and to /bin:/usr/sbin but none
seem to placate newsspool. I've checked the source of newsspool and
can find the code which generates the "renouncing" message but not the
code which checks NEWSPATH.

How should I setup NEWSPATH so that newsspool won't complain,
or am i missing the point?

Replies preferred vie email if poss. TIA,

2. Need help changing machines IP address

3. Linux as a news server with C-news

4. cap (solaris 2.4) printers

5. Problems compiling C-News with GCC 2.5.7/libc-4.5.8

6. is this (dod depending on IP) possible?

7. *- C-News Unbatching Problem -*

8. UDB Kernel (doesn't) compile

9. C-News expire problem

10. C-News problems

11. Problems with c-news

12. Problems with C-news and df in SLS 1.03

13. tin, c-news ->inn problem