Post by James Fitzsimon » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 06:21:21

Hi all,
I have an old laptop running redhat 7.0. The default 7.0 kernal did not have
loadable module support, and I required this to use a driver for a new piece
of hardware I want to use. I recompiled the 2.2 kernal to have loadable
module support and it works fine. (I did try the 2.4 kernal however that
just crashed every time I booted it).

Unfortuantely network support no longer works. The PCMCIA, network card and
some other modules are not being loaded on bootup. What configuration files
do I need to change to fix this?

Cheers,
James

Post by nobodadd » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 10:59:07

> Hi all,
> I have an old laptop running redhat 7.0. The default 7.0 kernal did not
> have loadable module support, and I required this to use a driver for a

errr, really?

Quote:> new piece of hardware I want to use. I recompiled the 2.2 kernal to have
> loadable module support and it works fine. (I did try the 2.4 kernal
> however that just crashed every time I booted it).

> Unfortuantely network support no longer works. The PCMCIA, network card
> and some other modules are not being loaded on bootup. What configuration
> files do I need to change to fix this?

> Cheers,
> James

What happens when you do

$ /etc/init.d/network start

???

--
The other day a dog peed on me.  A bad sign.
- H.L. Mencken

Post by Russell Sha » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:10:11

> Hi all,
> I have an old laptop running redhat 7.0. The default 7.0 kernal did not have
> loadable module support, and I required this to use a driver for a new piece
> of hardware I want to use. I recompiled the 2.2 kernal to have loadable
> module support and it works fine. (I did try the 2.4 kernal however that
> just crashed every time I booted it).

> Unfortuantely network support no longer works. The PCMCIA, network card and
> some other modules are not being loaded on bootup. What configuration files
> do I need to change to fix this?

"make menuconfig" will read .config for the last kernel settings. You must
get the settings from the last time the kernel was built and add your extra
settings to it. If it was done right, then try:

depmod -a
modprobe -a \*

then lsmod to see the relevant modules. The new modules should be
in /lib/modules/<uname -r>

Post by Russell Sha » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:15:17

> Hi all,
> I have an old laptop running redhat 7.0. The default 7.0 kernal did not have
> loadable module support, and I required this to use a driver for a new piece
> of hardware I want to use. I recompiled the 2.2 kernal to have loadable
> module support and it works fine. (I did try the 2.4 kernal however that
> just crashed every time I booted it).

> Unfortuantely network support no longer works. The PCMCIA, network card and
> some other modules are not being loaded on bootup. What configuration files
> do I need to change to fix this?

"make menuconfig" will read .config for the last kernel settings. You must
get the settings from the last time the kernel was built and add your extra
settings to it. If it was done right, then try:

depmod -a
modprobe -a \*

then lsmod to see the relevant modules. The new modules should be
in /lib/modules/<uname -r>

The modules to be loaded at boot time should be in /etc/modules.

1. Sb16 and midi module(can't load module midi)~!

Pls help,

 I am using RedHat 6.0 with the kernel 2.2.5-15 installed, there is
no problem when loading the sound & midi modules when bootup~! Recently,
have downloaded a new kernel source (version 2.2.11). I compiled it to
make my new kernel~! During 'make xconfig', I have chosen the sound card

support as modules, OSS sound modules and have the '100% Sound Blaster
Compatibles(SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support' as modules. After all, I
get
the bzImage and start to reboot my PC. After seeing the message:
"Finding
Modules dependences", I got the messages saying:

 can't locate module midi [FAIL]

It's fine to load the sound moudle.
My Sound Card is Creative 16 PnP SOUND CARD
I have used 'dmesg' which show:
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)

 Pls help to fix the problem of loading the module midi~!

Best regard
Alleyoop Sam

2. PPP and NT RAS

3. Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist,0)

4. Yggdrasil or SLS

5. load module error--kernel-module version mismatch

6. ack. xdvi can't find fonts - help pleeze

7. Emacs

8. "gcc2_compiled. undefined" - when loading modules

12. Not able to load modules RH5.1