Problems with xdm and Bootsys 0.4a

Post by Ralf Hu » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 18:06:12

Hi everybody,

I have some problems with starting X at boot-time and the init that's
provided with the BootSys 0.4a - Package.
The Display Manager starts up quiet nice and presents me with the login-widget
So I log on and olvwm and some nice clients are started. Now when I do a
'pstree' I see from 2 to 5 xdm's running and trying to startup the server !
Then, after a reboot I examined my syslog and found

        xdm: spawning to rapidly. Disabled for 5 minutes

Now, is this a bug in init or the Display Manager ?

I use the one that can handle shadow-passwords. Doesn't init recognize that
this process is already running ?

Somewhat confused,
Marc

---
Sorry, no .sig - Core dumped

Problems with xdm and Bootsys 0.4a

Post by Sunando S » Fri, 23 Apr 1993 23:13:44

Quote:>Hi everybody,

>I have some problems with starting X at boot-time and the init that's
>provided with the BootSys 0.4a - Package.
>The Display Manager starts up quiet nice and presents me with the login-widget
>So I log on and olvwm and some nice clients are started. Now when I do a
>'pstree' I see from 2 to 5 xdm's running and trying to startup the server !
>Then, after a reboot I examined my syslog and found

>    xdm: spawning to rapidly. Disabled for 5 minutes

>Now, is this a bug in init or the Display Manager ?

>I use the one that can handle shadow-passwords. Doesn't init recognize that
>this process is already running ?

>Somewhat confused,
>Marc

Start xdm with the option -nodaemon from your inittab.

Sunando Sen

Post by Mike Jagd » Sat, 24 Apr 1993 09:06:00

* In a message originally to All, Ralf Huth said:

RH> I have some problems with starting X at boot-time and the
RH> init that's provided with the BootSys 0.4a - Package.
RH> [...]
RH> Then, after a reboot I examined my syslog and found

RH>         xdm: spawning to rapidly. Disabled for 5 minutes

RH> Now, is this a bug in init or the Display Manager ?

It's a bug in the supplied inittab mostly. Change it to read 'xdm -nodaemon'
to stop xdm forking and confusing init.

  I seem to have put the nodaemon setting in my app-defaults for xdm hence
the reason I never noticed it :-).

                                Mike