Ambra

Post by Steven Bellov » Fri, 19 Aug 1994 11:04:24

Any words of wisdom on Ambra systems, pro or con?  I intend to run
DOS/Windows and Linux.

Ambra

Post by David Cordn » Fri, 19 Aug 1994 21:24:22

: Any words of wisdom on Ambra systems, pro or con?  I intend to run
: DOS/Windows and Linux.

Didn't I read a couple of weeks ago that IBM was shutting down Ambra?
They didn't say that they were selling them or spinning them off into
another IBM owned company, but that they were closing them down.  The
article claimed that they couldn't compete and that profits were not
what IBM had expected.  (I still see Ambra adds in the trade magazines
and have wondered if they were there because of publication lead time
requirements or if the article I read was wrong.)

dave

Ambra

Post by Jonas Larss » Sat, 20 Aug 1994 01:29:32

Quote:(Dmitry Shulman) writes:
> I know P90 is better, but P60 is $400 less or so, and I think that it is
> a better deal for a general use computer.

I disagree, the 5 V P60 is an old chip design, generating a lot of heat.
This calls for powerful fans (noise) and careful design (you will notice
a poor design when your machine stops working on a hot summer day). The
new 3.3 V technology is definitely they way to go in the future IMHO.
However, I agree that the speed difference does not warrant the price
difference, and you can find some nice deals on P60 machines (yet another
thing wich makes me suspect that the vendors want to get rid of these
boxes. See to that you don't get one of the early and very buggy PCI
chip-sets.)

Anyway, I'm spending the extra $$$ to get a P90 instead. That way I'm
sure to get a recent design, with no heat problems.

Btw, I've heard several horror stories about Ambra. I'd advice against
buying from them, but this is only what other people have told me, I have
no experience of my own. They migth have improved lately.

- Jonas

 Phone: +46-31-7721388                 Chalmers University of Technology
 Fax:   +46-31-180976                  S-412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden

Ambra

Post by Dmitry Shulm » Sat, 20 Aug 1994 00:39:47

> : Any words of wisdom on Ambra systems, pro or con?  I intend to run
> : DOS/Windows and Linux.

> Didn't I read a couple of weeks ago that IBM was shutting down Ambra?
> They didn't say that they were selling them or spinning them off into
> another IBM owned company, but that they were closing them down.  The
> article claimed that they couldn't compete and that profits were not
> what IBM had expected.  (I still see Ambra adds in the trade magazines
> and have wondered if they were there because of publication lead time
> requirements or if the article I read was wrong.)

> dave

Well, I am in the market for a new computer and I was looking at several
vendors.  I called Dell and Ambra yesterday.  I was interested in the P60.
I know P90 is better, but P60 is $400 less or so, and I think that it is
a better deal for a general use computer.
As I was saying, I talked to an Ambra salesman and asked about the closing
of Ambra.  He said that within the next month or two, they will stop
selling
Ambra computers but the support will continue through IBM, which got a
great review in Windows Sources in June of 1994.  I was comparing the Ambra

system to the Dell one and the Ambra seems like a better buy.  The same
systems
are listed as $1899 for Ambra (the PCI video card is now a GENOA with 2mb
not 1mb),
and $1999 for Dell with only 1mb pci card.  Plus Ambra lets me upgrade to a
mid-tower
case for $75 and Dell won't.  Ambra lets me drop both the monitor and the
hard drive,
while Dell only lets me drop the monitor.  So for about $1400 I can get a
Ambra P60
with 8mb memory, mid-tower and 2mb pci video card.  Sounds like a good deal
to me.

Dmitry

Ambra

Post by Bruce Harr » Sat, 20 Aug 1994 07:01:58

A couple of weeks ago IBM announced that they would be closing down Ambra
by the end of the year.  They are however still advertising.

FWIW,

-Bruce

Ambra

Post by Kevin Stant » Sun, 21 Aug 1994 03:37:42

Quote:

>Well, I am in the market for a new computer and I was looking at several
>vendors.  I called Dell and Ambra yesterday.  I was interested in the P60.
>I know P90 is better, but P60 is $400 less or so, and I think that it is
>a better deal for a general use computer.

Quote:> ... (the PCI video card is now a GENOA with 2mb not 1mb),
           ---
>and $1999 for Dell with only 1mb pci card.

                                  ---

Quote:>with 8mb memory, mid-tower and 2mb pci video card.  Sounds like a good deal
                                    ---
>to me.

>Dmitry

What is the status of drivers for PCI graphics cards?
        Are there some which work correctly?
                Any recommendations on one which would display 1280x1024
                at more than 74Hz (and works with X)?

Thanks.
    _/  _/   _/_/_/_/  _/       _/  _/_/_/_/_/  _/      _/
   _/ _/    _/         _/     _/       _/      _/_/    _/ Kevin B. Stanton
  _/_/     _/_/        _/   _/        _/      _/  _/  _/  Portland State Univ.
 _/  _/   _/           _/ _/         _/      _/    _/_/   Dept. of Elect. Eng.

Ambra

Post by Juha Tretjak » Fri, 26 Aug 1994 06:32:57

>   What is the status of drivers for PCI graphics cards?
>       Are there some which work correctly?
>               Any recommendations on one which would display 1280x1024
>               at more than 74Hz (and works with X)?

At least Intel PCI S3/928 worked just fine at 1280x1024. Then I had
hard difficulties booting from 340 Mb IDE-disc, multiple vendors. With
any other disc size no problems. Must be something with sector size
etc.

Followups to comp.os.linux.misc

--

Suomen Kotiolutyhdistys          laiturille kun yllesi taivun
                                 Sen kaksinkerroin taitan

1. WD90c33 video board + Ambra 17" monitor

Does anyone have a XF86Config file for such a configuration?

I manage to run fine with the default values in 640x480, but would like to
have it work in 800x600 & 1024x768.

Thanx for any help or pointers...

Erik.

2. Sybase 10.0.2, SPARCstorage array fix!

3. 486 4megs 510HD <Ambra Sub-Note>

4. NNIDS HelpME!

5. NetBSD, FreeBSD or Linux on IBM AMBRA platform?

6. change name logical disk

7. AMBRA, ConfigXF86 problem.

8. Debian 2.2?

9. ZEOS AMBRA, UMSDOS, INSTALL PROBLEMS

10. Problem in setup X in my Ambra 486/66

11. Ambra 17" Monitor Settings

12. Info -Ambra notebk OK ??

13. Help about choosing AMBRA Bluelightning