uucp man/doc project (any volunteers?)

Post by jgiff.. » Thu, 11 Jun 1992 06:37:56

There was discussion on the man list of writing some linux-specific
documentation on certain programs. (GCC, the kernel, uucp, TeX, etc...)

The suggestion was to pair up an experienced person with an inexperienced
person for each project, cause the experienced person would likely have the
right answers, and the inexperienced person would likely have some good
questions.
The example was uucp, with an experienced person "hand-holding" an
inexperienced uucp-er while they try to setup a working uucp site.  I
immediately volunteered to be the inexperienced person(cause that IS what I
am, and I am attempting to get uucp working right), but it seems that there
are no uucp experts on the linux-man list to volunteer to help me with this
documentation project.  Basically, I am attempting to put together installation
instructions, (and source sites) for a complete news/e-mail/uucp system
This includes Taylor-uucp, smail-3.1.25(or newer), elm2.3pl11(or newer),
and any news software necessary(or helpful)
I would like to establish various "levels" of setup, as follows:
        1)very basic setup,
        1.a) taylor uucp,
        1.b) smail(newest)
        1.c) use emacs as e-mail front-end

        2)mid-sized setup
        2.a) taylor uucp
        2.b) smail
        2.c) elm front-end

        3)upper-mid-sized setup,
        3.a) taylor uucp
        3.b) smail
        3.c) elm front-end
        3.d) very basic news software

        4)super-duper setup,
        4.a) taylor uucp
        4.b) smail
        4.c) elm
        4.d) whiz-bang news software and interface

Obviously, I have no experience with the news bit, and very little with the
rest, so I am a perfect guinee(sp?) pig.

If you want to volunteer to help me with this project, please e-mail.  ;)

Jim Gifford (I know, I e-mail too much)   ;)

1. Linux-Everywhere - Open Source Project volunteers needed

Hi,

Just recently, I registered Linux-Everywhere.com/net/org domains with the intention to create several Open Source LINUX
consulting related projects.

I welcome any ideas and volunteers that have excellent web design, php, html, C/C++, Perl skills and want to contribute.
For several months I am willing to sponsor all the traffic/hardware/management associated costs, but after that the
sites should be able to sustain themselfs.

This should allow us to create one to three LINUX portals for various projects, consulting, programming and should be
enough attractive to attract sponsors to pay for the traffic, hardware and moderators/contributors.

The work quality of listed consultants/programmers should be rated at the end by their customers, and all posted
projects should be under GPL to strength our LINUX community.

Thank you,

Chris P.

2. Problems with ppp-2.3.1 and CBCP (callback)

3. Translation Project seeks volunteers

4. HELP: Is there a termcap to support extended charcater set -DOS

5. Searchengine-project: Volunteers wanted

6. Probl:Linux as Firewall(forwarding)

7. GNU project seeking volunteer bug trackers

8. problem installing RH6.0 and Win98

9. Backspace vs Delete (re: WP Project --Info and Volunteers WANTED!!!)

10. Seeking volunteers for Spanish translation of Handbook and other FBSD docs

11. WP Project --Info and Volunteers WANTED!!!

12. translate from MS Word doc (.doc) to Portable doc (.pdf) with Solaris 5.6

13. Linux Doc Project - How to?