Mounted file system policy and partition tables

Mounted file system policy and partition tables

Post by Richard Alan Bro » Tue, 07 Apr 1992 13:02:54

Regarding hard disk partitioning:

1. It seems that the preferred Linux partitioning is this:
        /       /usr    /home   swap    DOS...
   i.e. at least 5 partitions! Now, I do see the need for mounting
   parts of the file system in large multi-user systems, but I expect
   most of us Linuxers will be using relatively small disks (<=100MB)
   with one or two users, and would like to have as much free space as
   possible available to us in in one partition.

   It makes sense to me to have the swap space as a partition rather
   than just as a file (maybe be this is just a wee bit safer in the
   event of a catastrophe?), but otherwise I don't really see the point
   in subdividing the disk in such a small system. In fact, for only
   one or two users, maybe ye olde Unix structure of having user areas
   in /usr should be used ?

   I believe that having more than 4 partitions on a hard disk requires
   'extended partitions'. There seems to be some doubt whether Linux will
   work properly with them. Being a conservative kind of guy (I *hate*
   restoring from floppies!), I'd quite like to avoid doing this. I'm
   wondering if the recommended filesystem breakdown should be changed,
   or am I missing something?

2. I've seen mentioned somewhere here that after editing the partition table,
   I will need to edit the boot record or something so that DOS will
   not try to write into the Linux partition. Is this correct or does
   DOS get all of its information from the partition table at boot time ?
   What do I need to edit ?  (No mention in the install notes).

3. From INSTALL NOTES FOR LINUX v0.95a :

   > Jim Winstead Jr. - March 17, 1992
   >
   > 4)  Make sure you have a free (preferably primary) partition on your
   >     hard drive.

   Why does it matter if the partition is primary or not ? Will DOS be
   upset by this ?

4. While I'm here: Linus, will the patched 0.95a kernel binary be available
   for FTP ?

rab

School of Physics                 | Phone : +61 3 344 5081
University of Melbourne           | Fax   : +61 3 347 4783
Parkville Victoria AUSTRALIA 3052 | Telex : AA35185

1. Do Partition Table and File System Depend on the CPU?

Dear Alpha Linux users,

I want to transfer some data (estimated: 500 MB .. 1 GB)
from an Alpha Linux machine to a Pentium Linux PC. Both use SuSE 7.0.
The Pentium has no network connection. I could use 150 MB cartridges,
but I would prefer using an external SCSI disk if possible.

1) Are the partition tables between these two CPUs compatible?
   (The Alpha machine uses PC-style tables, it runs ARC and MILO.)

2) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
   Do you see any obstacle to writing a "tar" archive to the
   partition on the Alpha and reading it on the Pentium?

3) If the answer to 1) is "yes":
   Is there any Unix-style file system whose on-disk structures
   can be used by both an Alpha and a Pentium CPU?
   (FAT is no option because I want to save access rights etc.)

4) If the answer to 1) is "no":
   Would a "tar" archive written to the disk device (without
   partitions) be transferable from the Alpha to the Pentium machine?

TIA,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

2. HELP: how to fix devbuf and hp deskjet

3. df: cannot read table of mounted files systems

4. NNTPD

5. ``df: cannot read table of mounted file systems'' Help!

6. Can I limit phys mem of process in SunOS 4.1.1?

7. Should mount autodetect vfat file systems (Was: Long filenames on DOS partitions)

8. Hard disk activity monitor...

9. mount partition to a folder within file system?

10. Mounting Win95 Doublespaced partitions/file system in Linux?

11. Error opening security Policy File after partition during install

12. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

13. Solaris 2.5 system file table and file lock info for alerting on thresholds