: SLS a1 boot: floppy error 0x04

Post by Gerhard Kirch » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 01:37:56

The probably most prominent reason for the 0x04 errors is an ST01/02
'SCSI' adapter. The solution to take the 'compact' keyword out of
/etc/lilo/config. Many people have difficulties in achieving this,
so here is one way to do it:

The procedure will only work for the a1.3 disk, since there is no vi
on the a1.5 image. The advantage is that it requires no running
Linux. With a running linux, where we can mount the floppy, there are
more possibilities.

The first thing is to get this floppy booting:

we can do this by doing one of the following:

*) Take the ST0x out of the machine
*) Take the ROM out of the ST0x

now boot a1

when we see LILO, press ScrollLock which gives us the boot prompt.
At the prompt we type 'floppy'. ---- This is important since otherwise
we would do all the changes on the ramdisk which obviously would
have no effect.

The disk should boot now.

Log in as root.

cd /etc/lilo

vi config
        delete the line 'compact' with the command dd
        write the file and exit by :x<CR>

/install
        should say something like  added ramdisk
                                   added floppy
                                   added harddisk

sync            # !!!!! this is important

turn off the machine

We should have now have a floppy which boots with all * BIOSes,
so we reinstall whatever hardware we previously removed and
give it a try.

Good Luck!

Gerhard

Post by Erik Geertse » Tue, 15 Jun 1993 17:54:08

[...]

Or you could switch TURBO off, seems to help, is just a tiny bit
simpler ;-)