finger problem

Post by Christopher Atha » Thu, 15 Jul 1993 08:59:01

Hello boys and girls.....I have a problem with finger..

Try this:
Create a dummy user joe
login as joe on one terminal and root on another..
on the root terminal, finger joe, it works right ?
switch back to the terminal with joe, log him out...
On my system and a friends, it says user never logged in!

Figure this one out !

Chris...

P.S.  It doesn't matter what the user name is

Chris Athans                               | Death--The last sleep?

PGP 2.3 Key avail. by finger or at PGP site|          --Walter Scott

1. Strange netgroup / finger problem

I'm setting up a FreeBSD 2.2.5R box on a mainly Sun network with SunOS
4.1.3, 5.3 and 5.5.1 (with NISkit ypserv) NIS servers. I've enabled NIS and
put a netgroup entry in the password file. If this netgroup is empty (ie.
no members are listed for it in the netgroup source file) or contains
another netgroup which is empty, "finger <user>" spins apparently
indefinitely under innetgr() without any output.  The finger backtrace when
in this state typically looks something like:

#0  0x805db91 in gettimeofday ()
#1  0x8051ca2 in time ()
#2  0x804d249 in setlogmask ()
#3  0x804dc18 in yp_match ()
#4  0x803b081 in innetgr ()
#5  0x803ae38 in innetgr ()
#6  0x803af84 in innetgr ()
#7  0x803af84 in innetgr ()
#8  0x803a90a in setnetgrent ()
#9  0x8039971 in endpwent ()
#10 0x80392cf in getpwent ()
#11 0x1c0d in userlist (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdc3c) at finger.c:288
#12 0x18d1 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdc3c) at finger.c:191

This happens whether the FreeBSD box is bound to 4.1.3, 5.3 or 5.5.1 NIS
servers.

However, "ypmatch <netgroup> netgroup", where <netgroup> is an empty one,
works OK. "finger <user>" works OK if I substitute a netgroup in the
password file which doesn't contain an empty netgroup.

I'm not sure if empty netgroups are actually strictly valid, but AFAIK,
we've never had this problem on other Unices (SunOS 4/5, IRIX, Digital
UNIX). Has anyone seen this before?

Scott Telford
Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre        "Every worthwhile creation is at
University of Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.       once an act of love, and an act

2. driver for Orinoco 802.11 card???

3. solaris 2.3: finger problems

4. X not starting

5. Extremely wierd finger problem

6. Upgrade from 1.6 Release to 1.6 Stable (daily releng-snapshot) with binaries

7. ** HELP ** finger PROBLEM!

8. PAN: how to post attachments ?

9. finger problems

10. Finger Problems, Revisited