Installing linux onto a older labtop help

Installing linux onto a older labtop help

Post by JOE CRO » Sun, 11 May 2003 04:03:07

Dear users
I am not by any means very good with linux but I have installed linux a time
or two but the problem im having is finding a linux os that will install
onto a 700 mb hard drive. The labtop itself is a NEC P 75 mhz with a floppy
drive only. So if any Guru wants to give me some advice i would gladly do
anything i could to repay them.

Jozak

Post by Davi » Sun, 11 May 2003 09:18:56

> Dear users I am not by any means very good with linux but I
> have installed linux a time or two but the problem im having
> is finding a linux os that will install onto a 700 mb hard
> drive. The labtop itself is a NEC P 75 mhz with a floppy drive
> only. So if any Guru wants to give me some advice i would
> gladly do anything i could to repay them.

Slackware

I doubt you will find a distro that can be installed on a 700MB
if you try to install everything included with the distro.
You can install a working basic Slackware system from floppies.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Installing linux onto a older labtop help

Post by Sybren Stuve » Sun, 11 May 2003 17:24:22

David enlightened us with:

Quote:> I doubt you will find a distro that can be installed on a 700MB
> if you try to install everything included with the distro.

Very true.

I've installed a complete Debian webserver that used no more than 350
MB. Plenty of space. I even once got a RedHat box on a 386 SX 25 MHz, 8
MB RAM, 80 MB harddisk (yes: MB).

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

Post by whytewo » Mon, 12 May 2003 09:17:14

> Dear users
> I am not by any means very good with linux but I have installed linux a time
> or two but the problem im having is finding a linux os that will install
> onto a 700 mb hard drive. The labtop itself is a NEC P 75 mhz with a floppy
> drive only. So if any Guru wants to give me some advice i would gladly do
> anything i could to repay them.

> Jozak

well I know it can be done because I have done it
I have vector linux running on a pent 75 that only had
a floppy drive ... and a paraell port {the key}

how ever it also took have a desktop system running
linux {well at least with a fs on it that linux can reconize}

useing two copys of toms root and boot, a plip cable
and vector linux it's possable

first step use toms root and boot to set up the partions
sence the drive is 700 megs you have no need for a /boot
partition

recommended

/dev/hda1 swap about double the amount of ram if possable
but at least driving the total above 64 meg

/dev/hda2 ext2 or ext3 <what ever is left>

/dev/hda3 ext2 or ext3 80 megs{to hold the install files}

also mkswap and the file systems then

... if you have a network card  you can skip this part

set up plip ... connect the plip cable from the parelle port to the
corasponding port on the other computer ...

boot both computers with a toms root and boot {for compatiblity
with the linux kernels and the plip versions ... this is a problem
I had sence my desktop was useing 2.4.18 when I needed to set this
up}

log into both computers and issue thease commands

<desktop>
ifconfig plip0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2 arp up
route add default gw 192.168.1.2

<laptop>
ifconfig plip0 192.168.1.2 pointopoint 192.168.1.1 arp up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

then test with
ping 192.168.1.x

if test works continue

ok now create a directly on both machines ... I ushaly use
/drive

then mount the file system continaing the files to copy on the
desktop

and mount /dev/hda3 on the laptop

ok on the desktop go to the directy containing the files

and on the laptop change to /drive
and type mkdir veclinux ; cd veclinux

then use this basic script to transfer files {sence tomsrootandboot
doesn't contain a server of any kind thats worth a salt over plip}

<desktop>
cat <the file to be transfered> | gzip -c | nc -l -p 5555

<laptop>
nc 192.168.1.1 5555 | gzip -dc > <<file name from desktop>

ok then while files are being transfered ... go have dinner ... plip
is slow

then after all files for vector are copyied over
use the vector linux boot and root disks you made
and reboot the computer

links
http://www.vectorlinux.com/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single...
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single...

1. I need some help installing Linux onto an RS/6000 type 7248 133.

I have tried the boot image sequence as described in the how to pages
on http://www.linuxppc.org and at http://www.ifi.uio.no/~ingvarha.  I
am still not able to get the machine to boot past the system icon
check screen.  I have used both rawrite (DOS) and the dd (linux)
commands to create the floppy but still nothing.  Can anyone tell what
I am doing wrong?

2. RPC

3. HELP getting older Java plugin installed/working...

4. kde 3.1, OpenOffice, and fonts

5. HELP: installing mklinux onto JAZ

6. 0.99.6 bootable rootdisk is on tsx-11

7. HELP: Installing x86 onto an AST Ascentia Laptop

8. Q: Checking passwords with CGI (step 2)

9. HELP: Installing Slackware onto /dev/hda11

10. Can anyone help me with an install of LinuxPPC onto my RS/6000 type 7248

11. HELP ! Installing LinuxPPC onto a RS/6000 7248

12. REPOST: HELP...Installing YDL from a partition onto a different partition on the same disk

13. HELP: Installation onto 1Gb SCSI - install hangs