How do I get rid of vt100 graphics chars?

How do I get rid of vt100 graphics chars?

Post by Dan McGui » Thu, 20 Aug 1992 12:27:28

Sometimes, if I accidentally try to display a binary file, my tty gets
thrown into a mode where all lowercase characters appear as vt100
graphics characters.  I've tried various things with stty and setterm,
but I can't seem to find the command to get the terminal back to
normal.  Could some enlightened person out there tell me how to fix
this?

I'm sure everyone else knows how to do this by now, but I never
figured it out, and it's getting annoying having a bunch of terminals
disabled because they're showing these strange characters...
--

How do I get rid of vt100 graphics chars?

Post by Dan McGui » Thu, 20 Aug 1992 14:46:37

Well, I had my question answered in record time.  Thanks to Krishna

In summary:

^O and ^N toggle between character sets 1 and 2
^[(B and ^[)B reset charsets 1 and 2 (respectively?) to normal
--

1. display dos "graphics" char in sun

Hi,

I have a problem trying to display certain characters on
the screen. The problem is I have a text file which is
edited in a dos environment. The text file uses some special
characters to draw boxes e.g., ascii 169 for top-left-corner,
ascii 196 for horiz. line, etc.

So, when I transfer this file to my sun and try to view it
with more, I can't see those boxes. When I use vi, allthe
special characters get translated to \xxx.

Does anyone knows how I could view that file in sun, either
using normal "cmdtool" or some x-windows program.

Thanks.

2. mail: sender name

3. Who has done this before: getting rid of shadow password setup?

4. MIDI Driver for MPU-401???

5. vt100, vt100-am, vt100-bot-s . . .

6. Help! Setup Adaptec 2920 SCSI w/ Tape Drive

7. filtering vt100 cursor control chars

8. XWin display oscillates when mouse is moved

9. Alternate Char Set for VT100

10. char *strcasestr(char *haystack, char *needle) a simple case independent strstr()

11. How to get rid of tty control chars?

12. Hot to get rid of control chars ?

13. how to get rid of end of line char by using scripts