setting hostname with net-2

Post by UCLA Astrono » Tue, 22 Jun 1993 22:10:08

 I installed SLS 1.01 over the weekend and upgraded to the new 99pl10 kernal.
 I re-compiled the new kernal and re-booted (I got the expected errors related
 to the new networking stuff).

 I then upgraded to the new libc 4.4 and installed the net-2 base, std, and
 010.  I changed several of the network related files including /etc/HOSTNAME
 to reflect my.  I can not get /bin/hostname to work properly.  When I type
 /bin/hostname -Sv, it reads the /etc/HOSTNAME file and finds my hostname
 there but then it complains that my hostname is unknown and proceeds to
 name my machine (none).

 Is the version of hostname that comes with net-2 buggy.  I tried compiling
 the hostname.c source file that comes with the 010, but I have the same
 results.  If I tried to type  /bin/hostname myname  ,it complains about my
 command string format.

 Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.... Please send e-mail since my news
 feed is not always very stable.  Thanks in advanced.

 cliff

setting hostname with net-2

Post by Staal » Fri, 02 Jul 1993 00:15:19

> I then upgraded to the new libc 4.4 and installed the net-2 base, std, and
> 010.  I changed several of the network related files including /etc/HOSTNAME
> to reflect my.  I can not get /bin/hostname to work properly.  When I type
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.... Please send e-mail since my news
> feed is not always very stable.  Thanks in advanced.
> cliff

I have exactly the same problem. Could you forward any
replies to me?

Wilco Staal

setting hostname with net-2

Post by Andreas Bus » Fri, 02 Jul 1993 16:20:00

|> > I then upgraded to the new libc 4.4 and installed the net-2 base, std, and
|> > 010.  I changed several of the network related files including /etc/HOSTNAME
|> > to reflect my.  I can not get /bin/hostname to work properly.  When I type
|> > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.... Please send e-mail since my news
|> > feed is not always very stable.  Thanks in advanced.
|>
|> > cliff
|>

|> I have exactly the same problem. Could you forward any
|> replies to me?
|>
|> Wilco Staal

Same question, same answer. I *know* there's a need for a NET-2-FAQ.
However, do the following:

1) /etc/host.conf:

order hosts, bind
multi

2) /etc/hosts:

your.ip.goes.here       your_hostname_goes_here

3) Still not working ?

Look for the article called "NET-2 SETUP" I've posted some days ago.
If you can't find it, write to me. I can post it again, if people don't mind.
( 14 kBytes incl. a patched /bin/hostname)

Urgent ?

Ok, get net-010.tar.z. You'll find the sources of /bin/hostname.
Comment out the gethostbyname() call. Now it should work.

Andy

1. hostname (net-2) cannot find hostname.

Hi there!

After Robert Baruch was so kind as to offer me words of advice,
I installed the net-2 stuff under pl10 as he outlined.  Now,
my hostname program cannot find hostname blah

I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME that contains one line with the name
surfcty in it.  I modified the /etc/rc.local file to have
the statement hostname -vS in hopes that it would find the
hostname from the right file.  Now, my prompt says (none) and
if you run hostname by itself, it says (none) as well.

What have I done?

To make matters worse, I haven't a recent backup (my own fault).

Of course, since hostname is not doing it's thing, hostcvt.build
cannot put things together properly.  And since that cannot happen,
I cannot talk to anything else (anymore).

Anyone with words of wisdom are asked (begged) to respond.

Chris

**      Chris D. Johnston               714/289-8543            **
**      Surf City Software              714/289-1002 (fax)      **

**      1095 N. Main Street, M-1, Orange, California 92667      **
**           The Cart Before the Horse?  Preposterous!          **

2. svc_tli_create and t_optmgmt

3. My hostname will not set; dip error "must set HOSTNAME first"

4. kde autostart, virtual desktop q's

5. NET-2 configuration files, new hostname failure

6. UFS snapshot

7. net-2 hostname -S gives host unknown.

8. PPP suppport

9. Peculiar hostname: NET-2 HOWTO vs. Yggdrasil?

10. /bin/hostname -S won't set hostname

11. Set up DNS to resolve hostname to hostname:port?

12. Net-2 questions, we all got net-2 questions!

13. dip says 'set HOSTNAME', but it's set