Mandrake 8.0

Post by Infinit » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:09:55

I did a freash install of mandrake 8.0 and noticed something strange.
When I turn off my cable modem....my system slows down almost to the point
of where it seems it has locked up....but when I turn my modem back on
everything is fine again.

When I ran net_monitor, I noticed that my system seems to be constantly
sending and receiving packets.  Now I know this is not normal becuase this
didn't happen when I installed slackware.

Has anyone had any similar problems or know what might be causing this???

Mandrake 8.0

Post by Giles Hjort-Tyso » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:49:03

I noticed similar things with mandrake 7.2

Installed redhat 7.1 and everything is great.

Quote:> I did a freash install of mandrake 8.0 and noticed something strange.

Post by A.C. » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:10:57

>I did a freash install of mandrake 8.0 and noticed something strange.
>When I turn off my cable modem....my system slows down almost to the point
>of where it seems it has locked up....but when I turn my modem back on
>everything is fine again.

>When I ran net_monitor, I noticed that my system seems to be constantly
>sending and receiving packets.  Now I know this is not normal becuase this
>didn't happen when I installed slackware.

>Has anyone had any similar problems or know what might be causing this???

I don't suppose you're shutting down your network before you turn off
your cable modem? If I recall correctly, in mandrake you can do a
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop" (as root).  It sounds like you're
running something which is constantly trying to do some sort of dns /
reverse dns lookup, or for all I know possibly dhcpd is tying up your
system.  Have you checked any of the process stats while this slow
down is occurring - seen which one is occupying so much of your cpu
time?

St.

1. Default sound system in KDE2.2 with Mandrake 8.0

Hi!

I use KDE2.2 with Mandrake 8.0.
I use Netscape 6.1 with messenger.

I checked the option in Netscape to have a sound played when I've got a new
e-mail. Unfortunately it's not possible to choose what sound to be played
and the one played is the default sound system.

I tried to change the default sound system using KControl but I didn't find
any default sound system in notification.

Does anyone know how to change that?

Gry

2. Mysterious filesystem - SOLVED !

3. Mandrake 8.0 installation freeze

4. 2.4 and 2.5 Problem ne.c driver

5. Mandrake 8.0 and IBM thinkpad A21e

6. Mailing to Programs?

7. Multimonitor under Mandrake 8.0

8. LinkSys ether card

9. Flash Plugin & Netscape 6.1 on Mandrake 8.0 Problems

10. Setting up Mandrake 8.0 as a Cable Modem Gateway.

11. Mandrake 8.0 config

12. tcsh path in Mandrake 8.0

13. HELP! Mandrake 8.0 kernel panic.