Failed to stop/restart xinetd

Post by Rune Baggetu » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:36:13

When trying to restart xinetd (/sbin/service xinetd restart) after
adding a CVS service on my RH7.0 I got an error stop failed, but start
ok. Since then I have been unable to log on with any username/password
combination including root. It is impossible to connect with ftp and
telnet. I can connect with ssh but not log on with any
usernames/passwords combination. What can we do?

Regards
Rune

--
Rune Baggetun
InterMedia, University of Bergen Norway

Failed to stop/restart xinetd

Post by CJ » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:25:38

In all honesty, not much until you can physically get to the computer.

Sorry

CJ

Quote:

> When trying to restart xinetd (/sbin/service xinetd restart) after
> adding a CVS service on my RH7.0 I got an error stop failed, but start
> ok. Since then I have been unable to log on with any username/password
> combination including root. It is impossible to connect with ftp and
> telnet. I can connect with ssh but not log on with any
> usernames/passwords combination. What can we do?

> Regards
> Rune

> --
> Rune Baggetun
> InterMedia, University of Bergen Norway
> Herman Fossgt. 6 5020 Bergen
> Phone
> Work: +47 55584184
> Cell:   +47 98644805
> Private:+47 55167929

Failed to stop/restart xinetd

Post by Rune Baggetu » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:07:06

We can go to the computer physically. Since right now we can not log on, we
are thinking about rebooting the server. We are afraid that we will not be
able to boot it at all if the xinetd services have crashed?

--

Post by Rod Smit » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:20:03

> We can go to the computer physically. Since right now we can not log
> on, we are thinking about rebooting the server. We are afraid that we
> will not be able to boot it at all if the xinetd services have
> crashed?

Reboot it. There's nothing run from xinetd that's vital for a
computer's booting, so the only way the reboot would hang would be if
xinetd were so messed up that it hung during the boot process (and even
then, it might move on; I've never encountered such a problem, so I
can't say what would happen).

In fact, there are probably less radical solutions, like killing xinetd
(via the startup script and/or kill), restarting it, and checking the
log files (/var/log/messages, principally) for clues about what's going
wrong. You may need to do this anyhow, if xinetd doesn't start your
servers after you reboot.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Failed to stop/restart xinetd

Post by Lee Merri » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:29:55

I would expect it probably would boot, xinetd is not involved as far
as I know, in the local-machine login process. So the problem might
clear up with a reboot.

Lee

1. ftpd stops connecting few mins after xinetd restart ?!?

Hey all -

Red Hate 7.3, After a RHN update claiming to fix DOS vulnerability in
xinetd, ftp service became problematic.  FTPd will connect easily and
work correctly for the first few minutes, but after which, will stop
connecting.

The client (ws_ftp) shows somthing like:

<86> Oct 21 13:08:09 xinetd[28604]: START: pid=29484 from=My.IP.address

Server process shows:

29484 ?        S      2:29 ftpd: host:My.IP.address: username: IDLE

Reloading the configuration does nothing, however a restart of xinetd
temporarily fixes the problem for a few minutes.  Ive tried increasing
the cpm in xinetd.conf, but to no avail.  Any Ideas?

2. CPU usage abnormal in 2.4.17+

3. xinetd stop failed in RH7.0

4. AIX man Pages

5. kill -STOP <PID#> -> "child process has been stopped, restarting." ?

6. MII-Cable

7. How do you you restart xinetd?

8. async io

9. newbie Q - modifying xinetd.conf - need to restart?

10. Restarting xinetd

11. how to restart xinetd on solaris8?

12. Can't stop MySQL: /etc/init.d/mysqld stop [FAILED}

13. How to Make Xinetd Stop Trying Port 113