Openoffice.org performance improvement?

Post by Rocketbo » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:14:43

I was playing around with OpenOffice and the performance is really,
really bad. I have a P4/1.6Ghz and it still takes 10 seconds to open.
Sometimes it will just freeze up for a couple of seconds for no
apparent reason. If you drag a window in front of it, it leaves tracers
that take several seconds to disappear. Now, I know that it's a big,
slow program but this seems a little ridiculous. It's a shame, because
otherwise it's a good program. The MS interoperability is impressive -
and just exactly what I need.

I just checked and found that the executables still have their
debugging symbol tables attached, so that got me to thinking that there
must be a few other things that might speed it up. Perhaps there's an X
setting, or something. I can't find much on the OpenOffice.org website,
though.

Any ideas?

Post by mjt » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:18:37

Openoffice.org performance improvement?

Post by Rocketbo » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:29:33

[..]

Quote:> i dont think it's specifically OO.org. have you checked the
> process table to see who's eating up CPU time?

SETI is, but at a nice value of 19. I have confirmed that OO's
performance is bad even without this running, where I have 90%+ idle
time.

The tracers are what really gets me wondering. I more than half suspect
it's something wrong with my X setup. Unfortunately, my knowledge of X
isn't that strong.

I take it you are saying that this isn't normal? That's encouraging, at
least.

1. openOffice.org announces openOffice.org 1.0

"May 1, 2002 - The OpenOffice.org community today
announced the availability of OpenOffice.org 1.0,
the open source, multi-platform, multi-lingual office
productivity suite available as a free download at
the OpenOffice.org community website. OpenOffice.org
1.0 is the culmination of more than 18 months of
collaborative effort by members of the OpenOffice.org
community, which is comprised of Sun employees, volunteer
developers, marketers, and end users working to create
an international office suite that will run on all major
platforms."

http://www.openoffice.org/
(if it's not busy, that is)

--
+==================================
| M i c h a e l  J.  T o b l e r
| Authorship: "Inside Linux" ...
| "C++ Unleashed" ... "C++ How-To"
| Motocycling, Surfing, Skydiving
+==================================

2. Paintshop Pro-Like Paint Program for Linux?

3. Creating databases with OpenOffice.org and StarOffice

4. explain EDO & FPM?

5. connect timeout to openoffice.org

6. Cannot read crash dump

7. OpenOffice.org vs Word

8. Test -- Please ignore

9. "So What's this OpenOffice.org thing?"

10. OpenOffice.org availability

11. OpenOffice.org came through again

12. OpenOffice.org sol x86 binaries out now

13. openoffice.org data source crash