Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Post by Vsevolod Ilyushchenk » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
> drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
> first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
> that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
> all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
> status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
> advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

> I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
> them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
> error.

> I have Redhat 6.1.

> Any ideas what's going on?

> Thanks,
> Simon
> --
>  _________

> | y = e   |                                    (current address)
> |_________|   Life is file...
> http://www.simonf.com

> Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
> This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

With the tape drives I've dealt with, the mt command does not
seem to work as expected.  It seems to be impossible to get
out of file 0.   Here is what I have found works.  My tape devices
are /dev/ht0 and /dev/nht0.  So here is how  I do it
write first tape archive to /dev/nht0
mt -f /dev/nht0 weof
write second tape archive to /dev/nht0
mt -f /dev/nht0 weof
etc.
mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
Then with a rewound tape in place
mt -f /dev/nht0  fsf N
where N is twice the number of archive records you want to
skip places you so you can read the next archive record.