Internet time clock programs?

Post by Ernes » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 23:34:51

I have a small program on my Win2k box called Atomic Time Check, which
checks an atomic clock through the internet, and adjusts my system clock to
match it.

Is there anything like this for Linux?

Thanks.

Ernest

Internet time clock programs?

Post by A.C. 'Static' Stad » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 10:55:04

rdate, ntp, xntp, etc.

Quote:> I have a small program on my Win2k box called Atomic Time Check, which

  Check http://www.ntp.org/

--
the-web-works  http://www.the-web-works.co.uk/
               http://www.ne-datacentre.co.uk/

Internet time clock programs?

Post by Lee Merri » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 22:40:27

Netdate seems to fill the bill...

Lee

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netdate

Internet time clock programs?

Post by Lee Merri » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 22:46:48

I should have also posted some time references (this is from someone
else's post on this subject from a similar thread):

netdate -v tick.usno.navy.mil tock.usno.navy.mil \
               tycho.usno.navy.mil bitsy.mit.edu radar.gatech.edu \
               time.mit.edu

1. Set System time over internet to some accurate clock?

I'd like to set my system time on a linux server, i.e. pick it up
from some central clock on the internet.  The government, weather
bureaus,
research labs, etc. have them, and is there a way to run a chron job
to get the real world time and then adjust its clock to that?

The next problem is getting all the other [W2k and Linux] boxes
on my network to pick that up.

I slogged through "man timed" and SuSE's web page and didn't find
anything promising.  In fact, it sounds like timed just gets all
the linux machines on the network syncronized with each other, rather
than correct.

There is a win95 program (ftp.atomtime.com) that I found on cnet,
but nought for linux.  Any pointers?

P.S.:  It also occurs to me that this might not work anyway, if there
is sufficient time lag between when whatever server sends the time
and my linux server gets it and sets itself?

2. suse 7.2 boot making

3. program to set my computer time to the atomic clock at NIST?

4. Userland ppp: Insecure deny_incoming

5. Program for setting system clock to correct time

6. [TINY] Documentation/Changes for modutils

7. An employee clock-in/clock-out program

8. HP Ultra VGA D1193A

9. How to convert time/date info into unix clock time

10. time.h and clock()/time()

11. Is timing reproducible ? (Re: times vs clock)

12. Looking for program to set my system time from host on the internet

13. Setting time using time reference on the internet ?